Replacement NiCads for MN-2 pack in F3's MD-4 motor?

Robert_Lai

At the present time, I alternate between two MN-2 packs on my F3 with

MD-4 motor drive. They still hold a decent charge. However,

eventually, they will wear out. How and where does one go about

getting new cells for these packs? Is Nikon USA still supporting this

product? How much do they charge to recell these packs? Are there

third party suppliers from whom I can get new NiCd cells, or should I

change to nickel metal hydride when the current NiCads wear out?

Advice from anyone who's been through this process would be appreciated.

What about using Energizer L-91 Lithium batteries in the MD-4? You can use individual NiMH batteries in the standard AA pack for the MD-4 but I would not try charging them in the standard AA pack because if there is any arcing it will melt your battery pack.

If you rebuild a battery pack it should be with tabbed, soldered and matched batteries. You could charge the rebuilt pack with a TEKIN BC 112 C RC batter changer (late versions) as it�s designed for NiMH batteries. If the batteries are not matched you will likely have to slow charge them due to false peaking.

I think the best answer is L-91(s).

Regards,

Lithiums are pretty risky in an older camera IMO. I tried regular AA NiMH batteries and found their performance to be poor.

Try Gary Bernard here at photo.net. I had some emails back and forth with him over rebuilding MN-2 batteries with NiMH cells and he does offer a service. Ultimately, I didn't see the need to "go rechargable" since the alkalines seem to be lasting for over 100 rolls and I don't need the extra speed.

Your Nikon charger will work but you will need to use two charging cycles. The NiMH batteries have about 2.5x the capacity of NiCd so expect more rolls shot per battery.

I have just replaced the NiCd packs myself - very very easy and cheap if you know which end of a soldering iron to hold. There are various sites where you can get adequate replacements (I couldnt find exact matches but sought advice from an expert). I was advised against changing to nimh unless I could ensure that the charger would support them and as I couldnt find out - I didnt. I can give details of the replacement cells that I used if you need it, cost was about 20ukp plus my time - 1-2hrs.

Dave

Mr. Tolcher, would you mind telling me what cells you used, preferably manufacturer and codes, etc. I've opened up one of the MN-2s, and I see that they consist of a large number of small cells soldered up in series. My main problem would then be where to obtain these cells?

There are a bunch of pros in NY that use L-91(s) in everything. Three that I can thing of have regular columns in US photography magazines. Energizer will repair or replace anything damaged by their batteries including cameras and motor drives. I use them in an MD-12, F100 and F5. I was spooked and never used them in my F4s. Check with Nikon. If you think L-91(s) are too hot you could try 7 L-91(s) and a dummy cell in your MD-4. A nice plus in a heavy battery pack is they weight 1/2 that of alkaline cells. You might also check with Energizer.

Battery packs for NiMH should have a heat sensor to interrupt charging if the cells get too hot. NiMH batteries heat up quickly when they peak. Battery packs should use matched batteries (NiCads or NiMH) or they are likely to false peak and require slow charging. They also should not be totally discharged or you end up reverse charging weak cells. L-91(s) are so much easier to use. If they were not so expensive I�d use them in flash.

Regards,

The batteries that I fitted were made by GP and had designation 400AAK. They are 1.2V, 400mah 2/3AA size batteries. Spec seems to be at:

http://www.hk-batteries.com.hk/industri.htm

The orginal batteries are Sanyo N-270AAF 2/3 AA. These are 270mah so the one I fitted have slightly more oomph. Seem to work just fine with the orginal Nikon charger.

A search on Sanyo N-270AA gets a few hits. You need tagged.

Dave