Replacement Bronica SQ Multi Exposure Lever ?

jt991

Due to my carelessness this lever broke off my newly acquired SQ as I pulled the camera out of a tight-fitting shoulder bag I was using until an already ordered larger one arrives. Unrepairable and so deriving me of all that the lost facility allows, help in finding a replacement will be very gratefully appreciated. Finding a non-working discarded SQ body for its lever seems very unlikely, I guess - but "hope spring eternal". Although - from photos - the SQ-A lever looks different (evidently incorporating a chrome ring), maybe one of those would do ?

Due to my carelessness this lever broke off my newly acquired SQ as I pulled the camera out of a tight-fitting shoulder bag I was using until an already ordered larger one arrives. Unrepairable and so deriving me of all that the lost facility allows, help in finding a replacement will be very gratefully appreciated. Finding a non-working discarded SQ body for its lever seems very unlikely, I guess - but "hope spring eternal". Although - from photos - the SQ-A lever looks different (evidently incorporating a chrome ring), maybe one of those would do ?

N.B Please note that the camera in question is an SQ-B. Also thanks for the link to Frank Marshman ! It may turn out that the lever from any of the SQ series will do.

Edited by jt99|1

If desperate, that is probably one of very few parts on those cameras that might be a candidate for some DIY creativity with a drill and files on a small scrap of aluminum! The only moderately critical dimensions would be the double-D hole that mates with the shaft. I don't actually know, but it wouldn't be surprising if even the ETR series used the same lever.

I haven't searched for that part, but there is always a huge number of items for the SQ-Ai series (and others too) on eBay. I have found lenses, tele-converters, diopters, and lots of other stuff, including bodies. Also, keh.com is worth a try. They have bodies starting at $50. No repair parts are listed, but you could ask.

^ good suggestion to contact keh. I bought n SQa body from them in "untested condition" earlier this summer for $25 and all it needed was a battery.

Edit: just checked "sold" ebay auctions and quite a few bodies were sold since September for less than $75 so check ebay constantly and you should be able to find one to either scavenge for parts or to use permanently.

KEH had a SQ-B body which is already on its way to me. Firstly the multi exposure and mirror controller levers will be transferred, then the rest put to one side for other parts (if and when needed) to keep my SQ-B going for as long as possible. (The mirror control lever on my camera was loose, and a closer look revealed that it was cracked right across the centre ....then attempting to tighten it by rotating the central button-like cap using a finger tip caused tit to break in half and fall off :oops: Edited by jt99|1

KEH had a SQ-B body which is already on its way to me. Firstly the multi exposure and mirror controller levers will be transferred, then the rest put to one side for other parts (if and when needed) to keep my SQ-B going for as long as possible. (The mirror control lever on my camera was loose, and a closer look revealed that it was cracked right across the centre ....then attempting to tighten it by rotating the central button-like cap using a finger tip caused tit to break in half and fall off :oops:

Many apologies for any offence caused by that obvious and unintended misspelling ----- I hesitated too long until the time for editing ran out !

Many apologies for any offence caused by that obvious and unintended misspelling ----- I hesitated too long until the time for editing ran out !

No offense taken. Almost 50 years ago, while working as a proofreader for a daily newspaper, I missed my share of typos.

Once, we published a report on a barbecue given on his DAIRY farm by a senator seeking reelection. Our story said the event took place on Sen. X's FAIRY farm. Another time, a local department store ran a full-page ad with a huge banner headline promoting a SHIRT SALE. I let it go to press without the R in the word shirt.

Call Jimmy Koh. He probably will have it and charge next to nothing. You have to look up Koh's camera, phone him and ask for Jimmy. Sorry I can't post you a link or the number at this time.

Rick

Hi Rick, From Koh's web site today:

"Sorry, We are no longer repair camera, Jimmy Retired For Repair. But If you need any Bronica, Rollei parts or repair questions, just e-mail us

For Bronica Repair Please contact Camera Wiz, Mr. Frank Marshman at 1495 Needmore Lane, Harrisonburg, VA 22802 540-867-9671,

E-Mail: camerawiz@msn.com"

...But as the $99 SQ-B Body due Monday from KEH was specifically bought to cannibalise parts for my good SQ-B as may be required, the levers will be coming off it.

Call Jimmy Koh. He probably will have it and charge next to nothing. You have to look up Koh's camera, phone him and ask for Jimmy. Sorry I can't post you a link or the number at this time.

Rick

Jimmy is a great resource for Bronica knowledge, etc. I'm fortunate to have him located only a half hour ride away. Unfortunately I don't think he has this lever though. When I realized mine was broken (SQAi) I turned to him. He checked his stock and came up dry; that is why I epoxied mine and bought a "parts body". It worked out fine though after being epoxied together. I use the mirror up feature more than 50% of the time but show it some respect when I use it since I don't want to break it again. It has not failed since the initial repair.

Jimmy is great however and I too recommend him highly. He goes way back with Bronica (you wouldn't believe his collection) and is factory trained on Rollie as well as others. His prices are equally great and its nice to know that whatever I buy from him, he can service too.