Replacement battery

davidspahr

The Wein cell works well, but the charge diminishes much more quickly in the Zinc-Air than the PX-13 batteries.

There are many posts on-line for substituting various longer-lasting batteries with an adapter ring, that are good.

A good site, but there are many more, is Oleson's at

Cheap Easy Mercury Battery Replacement

There are sites for adapting silver cells, too

I have an alkaline battery in an FTb.

I am not so sure what you mean by risk.

It might give the wrong meter reading, usually a little, possibly a lot.

I have tried comparing my FTb against sunny 16, but then I don' t know how sunny it was.

In any case, it was close enough for black and white film.

I have an FE2 that is supposed to use alkaline or silver oxide or lithium batteries,

who's meter is somewhat off. As well as I know, the offset is constant, and so I set

the exposure offset appropriately. So, I don't worry so much if others are a little off.

There is risk of wrong exposure, especially if you use slide film.

Use an external meter once in a while to see how far off it is.

-- glen

The risk I was referencing to is from an electronics perspective. For example, if the native electronics is rated for range of voltages that includes 1.5V, the electronics will not "burn up" with the higher voltage or degrade over time from high voltage abuse. The user's manual clearly states 1.35V battery should be used for it's constant level of voltage. I cannot locate any other information about the electronics of the Canon FTb and its specifications. I do not have access to the service manual...so I do know what it states about the meter's electronics specification. So my risk is cautionary--would hate to blow/overload a resistor or capacitor in the camera that destroys the meter's functionality.
  • Like 1