Replacement Back Cover for FM3A (was Interchangable Back)

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by danny_liao, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Hi,

I scratched up the film cover to my FM3A. There are plenty of covers for the
    older FE and FM cameras on Ebay but none for the FM3A so I was wondering if the
    older film covers would fit on the FM3A?

Thanks

2. Yes, they will fit (although you will obviously loose the film ID window). The backs from the FM, FE, FM2, FE2, FA and FM3A are all interchangeable (I have a FM3A back installed on my FE2).

There are some slight differences in construction materials (the film reminder tab frames), but the form factor is identical. Also note that almost all backs from these earlier cameras will need the hinge end light seal replaced unless they have been serviced recently.

You might still be able to buy a replacement back from Nikon Parts.

3. You can replace just the inside plate that the film slides across. It is held in by spring bars
    and snaps right out easily. Easier to do than describe.

4. Did you just scratch up the outside and want a new back for cosmetic reasons? I may have
    misunderstood you reason for wanting a new one.

5. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

I took the liberty to update the subject line, but I think it is best if Danny can clarify exactly which part he wants to replace on his FM3a.

6. The pressure plates (inside plate that the film slides across) are interchangeable as well.

7. FM3A replacement backs+pressure plates are available from Nikon. Probably cheaper than NOS FE/FM backs on the big auction site.

8. Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the responses. Let me clearify. I want to replace the whole door cause it
    got scratched during my travel. Purely for cosmetic reasons. If anyone has one, please let
    me know. Thanks again.

9. Danny, I personally would not worry about cosmetic scratches on the outside of the camera (just don't do it again). Provided the inside film pressure plate is still clean, there is no problem. Invent a story as to how the scratches occurred (liberty with the truth - imagination unlimited) and see what happens. You never know.

But, if you are looking at reselling, then by all means replace whatever scratched parts to ensure a pristine condition attracts a favourable (to you) price.

10. I recently bought a new FM3a back directly from Nikon. I believe the cost was $40 including shipping. However, this is for the door only. So you will also need to swap the pressure plate from you old back into the new one; or buy a new pressure plate as well.