Replace dried out grease in a vintage Elgeet 13mm f/1.5

I got an amazing deal on a “for repair” Elgeet 13mm f/1.5. The problem with this lens is that the focusing mechanism is nearly frozen. Aperture works great.

I was wondering if anyone had a diagram or instructions on how to open this lens and replace the old grease?

Also, what are things that I need to be aware of when I open a lens? I have never done this before.

Lastly, what kind of replacement grease should I use?

Thanks!

You could try standing it in front of a fan heater for a while, about one foot away. The old grease will soften and perhaps allow freer movement of the focus ring. It might stay free if you're lucky. Edited by kmac
  • Like 1

Normally, I'd say to keep lenses well away from the Devil's fluid - WD40 - but a tiny drop introduced into a helicoid can work wonders in freeing up hardened grease.

Get a drop on something like a wooden toothpick and ease it into the gap between the focus ring and the barrel while holding the lens downward so that gravity takes the oil into the helicoid.

DO NOT SPRAY THE STUFF DIRECTLY INTO ANY PART OF THE LENS.

In fact keep the can a few feet away at all times. And if a single drop or two isn't enough, then don't be tempted to try more and yet more.

It might take a while for the demonic oil to get where it's needed. So give it an hour or two with the lens face down before resorting to a dismantling job.

• Like 1

I've also had success using a 50/50 mixture of fine oil (e.g., Lubristyl) and naphtha, no more than a drop or two as noted above, carefully applied with an oiling pen or hobby syringe. It's often enough to make the lens usable, but sometimes the old grease will harden up again.

If disassembly is still needed, Matt Denton's Classic Cameras site has a good general tutorial on lens relubrication, as well as other helpful repair tips. You will also need some basic tools such as a set of jeweler's screwdrivers and possibly a spanner wrench. A high-quality light synthetic grease (such as Super Lube with Teflon) that will not break down with heat or friction should work well.

Edited by m42dave