Repairing film holder flaps...

capocheny

Just curious whether others have had to repair the bottom flaps of their film holders... I

have a couple of Fedelity Deluxe 5x7 holders where the bottom has come detached from

the body of the holder.

How did you re-attach the flap portion back onto the body of the holder? Is hot glue an

option?

Thanks in advance for any and all answers.

Cheers

Hello Michael,

Thanks kindly for the rapid response... as usual! :) It's greatly appreciated.

If I replace the tape, is that sufficient to hold the plastic end pieces in place as well? That's

what has come off of the body of the holder. I'd have thought the end piece would have

been glued into place...

Thanks again.

Cheers

Use any glue that will hold plastic for the end pieces, I'd probably use Elmer's. Then use any tape you like for the flaps. The tape doesn't keep out light, it only serves as a hinge for the flap. So you can use any tape that you think will hold for a while. I use black electrical tape from Home Depot but I could use pink Scotch tape from Walgreens if it would hold the flap through repeated openings and closings. This isn't complicated, there isn't anything special about film holders when it comes to glue and tape.

Hi Michael,

Yes, the plastic end pieces came apart... so I'll try the glue route.

Brian - Elmer's sounds good... will head off to the hardware store and pick some up.

Thanks for the advice Michael, Brian... much appreciate it! :)

Cheers

Elmer's glue works well on materials that are porous. But for plastic, I think I would try something else. The best glue might be a solvent-based cement similar to the stuff used to weld plastic pipe or to glue acryllics (plexiglass, etc). But I would want to test this first before making a comittment to it.

Another possibiltiy would be either epoxy or superglue. My vote might be for expoxy because my experience with superglue hasn't been all that good.

Superglue (aka cyanoacrylate) adhesives work in joints where all the air is squeezed out. That's why they work well on ceramics, where broken pieces tend to fit together tightly, and they won't work at all on things like cardboard or wood. Plastic is sort of hit-and-miss.