Repairing Bellows ribs

tim_ludwig2

<p>I have a Kodak Master 8x10 with a soundly light tight bellows, but which has a few damaged pleats that I have to assume mean broken or bent ribs. In one area, the bellows actually intrudes slightly into the light path. Fixing those ribs would return the structure to it's normal stiffness and shape, so that is my goal.</p>

<p>Anyone have any experience in repairing this kind of problem or with a link to such a repair on U tube or other sources, please relay that info? I'm hoping to do this repair myself, but if you have actual experience with someone who so structural bellows repair, I would certainly appreciate that as well.</p>

<p>A bellows consists of an inner lining, the stays, and the outer covering. <br>

The inner lining material is cut to size and laid out on a table.<br>

The stays are cut the width of the desired pleat and at 45° angle on the ends.<br>

The stays are bonded to the inner lining.<br>

The inner lining and stays are coated with adhesive and the outer covering laid on top.<br>

The sides are folded then the overlap is bonded together.<br>

Next the pleats are folded and the frame ends if used are attached.</p>

<p>The most difficult part is laying the stays out on the inner lining.</p>

<p>Now to repair. Remove the bellows from the camera if possible. Lay on a flat surface (work table), pull taunt, and clamp in place. Small strips of wood and 2 inch spring clamps work well for this. Next take a razor knife and cut the inner lining only along the length of the stay(s) to repair on one side only then across the width at each end. Carefully detach the inner lining from the stays. Remove the broken stay pieces and cut new stays. Place the new stays in the bellows and bond in place. Reattach the inner lining over the stays. Allow to dry thoroughly then refold and attach to the camera.<br>

Stays are made from card stock type paper to thin cardboard depending on the bellows.</p>

<p>I use Dap Weldwood Nonflammable contact Cement, http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?BrandID=48&SubcatID=8 . It is applied to one surface, the second surface is laid on top of the wet cement and the air is pressed out. Cures to a basic hold in 15 to 30 minutes. Excess rubs off easily once dry.<br>

Black washable fabric paint or carbon black acrylic artist paint can be used to seal any light leaks or pin holes in bellows. Tears can be repaired with rubberized nylon cloth sold as darkroom blackout cloth, shutter cloth, and player piano bellows cloth. Bond to the inside of the bellows extending one to two pleats either side of the tear or apply to the entire length and width of the bellows.</p>

<p> </p>