Repair old BW prints with banding/stripes

Discussion in 'Digital Darkroom' started by javier_bonafont, May 3, 2015.

  1. I have a few ancient family photos that were sent to me long ago by relatives now dead. What they sent me was some kind of plain paper scan/print of the original. They have a regular pattern of lighter/darker vertical lines across them, either from a poor scan or from a poor print or some combination. So this is my source material. They are b/w and unique. Some of my relatives have asked for copies, and i'm trying to figure out how / if I can improve the quality. Attached below is a detail enlargement of the image showing this banding. I'm not sure even what to call this. Its almost like some kind of vertical halftone print. Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.
  2. I've tried some FFT stuff that makes it look a lot less bandy, but at the expense of detail.
  3. Looks and sounds like a novelty print from an old
    low resolution scanning "camera" found in some
    carnivals, kids' restaurants like Chucky Cheese,
    and some low quality photo booths.

    The FFT technique is all I can think of. Or get a
    digital artist to basically repaint it based on
    the available photo.
  4. I used Photoshop to make the image look a bit better like this: make it slightly wider using "canvas size" or the crop tool. Use the rectangular marquee to select the image itself, then copy and paste to create a copy of the image on a new layer. Move it sideways using the direction arrows until the dark bands on the one layer coincide with the light bands on the other. Then set the blending mode to "overlay", which seems to give the best effect.
  5. John, I have just tried your technique and think that what you did was just great. Here is what I achieved.
  6. John, interesting idea! I'll give it a shot!
  7. That worked really quite well. Thanks John. Here is a tiny version of the full print i was working on.

Share This Page