Rename Portrait & Fashion forum?

garry edwards

I don't know what the original purpose of this forum might have been but it seems to contain a very large number

of questions about lighting - which belong in the lighting forum and which, I guess, would probably get

more/better replies there because the lighting forum should be more likely to get read by people who understand

and are interested in lighting.

Maybe a better name for it would be 'Natural light portraits'

?

The "mission" of the forum isn't specifically defined in detail and maybe it should be. It might also help if we added a note in various places which pointed to the Lighting Forum as perhaps a more appropriate place in which to post specific lighting equipoment related questions. It's something of a fine line though between lighting equipment questions (which might better go in Lighting) and portrait lighting technique questions (which might better go in Portraits). The Lighting forum does have a section on "Portrait Lighting" though, which makes the confusion even worse!

Jeff Spirer [Moderator] [subscriber] [Frequent poster] , Nov 22, 2008; 01:44 p.m.

I do move quite a few threads to Lighting if that is the main topic of the post.

Perhaps so, but going through the last 10 posts still in the forum, 40% of them are lighting questions.

http://www.photo.net/portraits-and-fashion-photography-forum/00RZTb

http://www.photo.net/portraits-and-fashion-photography-forum/00RYrw

http://www.photo.net/portraits-and-fashion-photography-forum/00RYrT

http://www.photo.net/portraits-and-fashion-photography-forum/00RYLJ

Garry,

Perhaps Portrait & Model Photography forum might be better. When I think of fashion I think of clothes, jewlery, accessories,

anything that uses a person to show off something to sell. In fashion the model is not the important part of the photograph -

the model is used to draw attention to something else. Model photography would show the best lighting and poses for a

person to put an emphasis on an item to sell. Am I wrong? If yes, please explain. Thanks.

Mark

Mark,

Like you I'm just an ordinary member, I don't know what lies behind the decisions made by those that create the

forums. My guess is that the distinction between photographing models and photogaphing fashion may be too fine

for many contributors.

The point I was trying to make is that many of the questions that appear in the portraits & fashion forum are

about lighting, and there is already a forum that is concerned only with lighting. It even has a sub forum for

portrait photography. The point of having a lighting forum is that people who are interested in, and who have

knowledge of lighting are more likely to read posts about lighting when they appear in the lighting forum than

when they appear in another forum not connected with lighting, and so it follows that the answers will (or should

be) better informed. Obviously there are some very bad answers in the lighting forum but at least there are

usually some good ones too, and people can make choices between them. That doesn't seem to me to happen in the

portraits and fashion forum.

It seems to me that Bob made a good suggestion with "Posing and Ideas for Portraits and Fashion". Personally I

don't agree with his suggestion that there's any real distinction between lighting for portraits and lighting for

something else, because most lighting techniques are valid regardless of subject. But then maybe I'm the only one

who thinks this, and that a change should be considered.