Removing rear cell from lens

wogears

<p>Hello!</p>

<p>I just got a Schneider Super-Angulon 90mm f8 in a Seiko shutter from eBay. All appears fine--shutter sounds good, no haze or fungus under strong light. Only problem is, I can't unscrew the rear cell to mount the lens on the board I already had. I've never had this problem before, and I don't know what special tool I might need. Is there a strap wrench or similar device I have to have? Is there a secret trick? (Lens is in perfect cosmetic condition and I want to keep it so.)</p>

<p>Thanks<br>

Les</p>

<p>There is no secret trick, but you do need a spanner wrench that's designed for this sort of thing. Here is one that's offered on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/JHT-Spanner-Wrench-Medium-SP3/dp/B002QI1CX8/ref=sr_1_55?ie=UTF8&qid=1430024158&sr=8-55&keywords=lens+wrench</p>

<p>But you could get an equally good or better one from SK Grimes (that's what I did).</p>

<p>Les</p>

<p>All 90mm lenses are not alike. There are many different rear group configurations and it will be safer to know what you and we are dealing with.</p>

<p>Can you shoot and send detailed close up images of both the very rear of the lens, and below that where the lens threads into the shutter housing? You may only need a spanner, but two strap wrenches my also be needed, or possibly the postage to send it to a good lens repair shop. Treat lightly until we can see the photos and offer better suggestions.</p>

<p>You don't want the spanner to unscrew a rear cell from a shutter. You want a strap wrench. You may need a spanner to unscrew the retaining ring from the rear of the shutter.</p>

<p>AFAIK Super Angulons weren't supplied in Seiko shutters. But and however Seiko shutters conform to the Compur/Copal standard.</p>

<p>Sounds like somebody overtorqued the rear cell onto the shutter. </p>

<p>A neat trick instead of a strap wrench is to tightly wrap a length of electrical cord around the lens cell, then, firmly holding together the point at which the wires come into contact, give a tug in the appropriate (counterclockwise) direction. This also works to remove stubborn filters. </p>