Removing Leica M6 top cover?

dstate1

Well, after several drenchings over the past 12 years my Leica M6 meter has become intermittent

due to dirty contacts ( I think) under the shutter speed dial. It's a beater so I'm not too shy about

trying a repair myself, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to get the top cover off.

Can anyone point me to a step by step instruction on this procedure? Do I need special tools?

Thanks and best wishes

Dan States

Grand Rapids MI

yes the cover removal is about the same. the repair for thos contacts underneath the shutter dial can be done without the cover being removed. try just removing shutter dial and then there is a plastic cover over a screw through the center of the disc that holds the dial. the shutter speed dial removal is the same as m4. that disc has cheap crap brushes that rubs along contacts. those cheap crap contacts (looks like something made by miranda) can be cleaned; i suggest getting a new disk that holds those brushes because they did improve it over time.

if you decide you want to remove the cover, unlike other m models the synch outlet business is anchored in cheap crap plastic. you also may not need to remove the 12 o'clock screw on the flange.

leitz m electronics is never very good so expect there to be water damage to the board that is located where the selftime used to be.