Removing glare using Gimp! Can't do it! Please Help!

<p>Hello,<br /> I'm new here and I have this photo that I've spent hours on trying to rid it of the glare. I've been using Gimp. I'm just not having any success at all and am increasingly frustrated. I know there are things like masks and layers but don't know how to use any of that. The clone tool just won't look normal when I try this. I'm kind of new to editing photos. Can someone help me to remove this blasted glare? I'm trying to use a series of images as part of a Christmas gift for my brother and this is the only image I haven't been able to figure out. <br>

<br /> Any help would be greatly appreciated!<br /> Thanks,<br /> Kris<br /><br /></p>

<p> </p>

<p>I don't know much about gimp, except my frustration with it years ago.</p>

<p>What I am suggesting, if it is still possible, is to re-shoot your brother. The issue with the shot is lens flair which can be resolved in a few ways. 1) Use a lens hood. That is what they are for. 2) If you don't have a lens hood (like you are using a phone too) place your hand to block the light coming from the top right hand corner of the shot. 3) Place the light source behind you, but being careful your shadow isn't cast in the frame.</p>

<p>Although skills are handy and should be learned with Gimp, it only takes 3 seconds to deal with lens flair from the source. I would lean towards a re-shoot. Apologies for going slightly OT.</p>

<p>Here is a down and dirty fix of this photo. This is an extremely difficult fix and I have only covered some of it. I used a variety of tricks such as clone stamp, copy and paste and the healing brush in Photoshop CC. I also used liberal amounts of blur and darkening to hide some the of the fixes. I then erased the darkening of your brother so that he remained as you shot him. I also did a minor amount of noise removal to get some of the blotchiness out. Again, this is tough and there isn't a lot to work with. As others have said, this would have been better to reshoot but since that wasn't an option, you're left with repairing what you have. Wish I could be more helpful.<br>

I attached the fix as a full sized jpg in the event you want to save it and work with it a little more. I've done a lot of the heavy lifting though.<br>

</p><div>00d1W4-553421684.thumb.jpg.a340914504db91ddfcf7692b7873a816.jpg</div>