Removing front lens group on Rolleiflex 3.5F

ed_skibeki

I recently picked up a late (sn 355...) Rolleiflex 3.5f with a Zenotar lens.

The front lens group taking lens seems to have haze on the rear element facing the shutter that I'd like to clean. I understand that the group simply unscrews with a rubber friction tool, but I'm not sure which surface to torque against as there are 2. One is a ribbed trim ring and then there is a separate inner name plate trim ring with the lens name and serial number on it. The inner trim ring is about 30 mm and the outer about 35 mm. (Photo added for reference)

I don't want to be torquing the wrong one, so ask here, does anybody know which one I'm after?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_2566.jpg.0a53687d1e595606c02cbfcd4129fd75.jpg

The inner ring usually only secures the front element, while the outer ring secures the whole front group.

So if you want access to the rear element of the front group, then the outer ring is the one to go for. However, this might not give you enough purchase, and if you can span more surface-area so much the better. It then doesn't matter if you torque the inner and outer rings together.

Thanks everyone. John I'm nothing but "generally handy," which is hardly the same as knowing ones way around these cameras. In researching this question I found a thread where the owner of a 2.8f had found removing the front group "easy peasy" but the long spanner needed to unscrew the rear group in the mirror box was his issue.

I've no idea if 2.8f is different construction than 3.5f and don't want to screw things up. If its as simple as unscrewing the group I'd give it a try, but not if it's more involved.

@ed_skibeki Probably the best choice if you are not too confident. A John notes, a good condition white-face may represent more value than the average 3.5f.

The front group of my Rolleiflex 3.5C below could be unscrewed without tools, but that is another camera model and a Planar lens. Not something I needed to do, but I just noticed when I cleaned it down after purchase. If you look closely on the photo below you will see the name ring has a wavy edge. The name ring is easily gripped with your fingertips and can be turned. I don't see that edge on your camera.

The Tessar on my 1937 Automat arrived in a very foggy state and I could clean it up completely by removing the front group and clean the surfaces on each side of the aperture/shutter - from the front with the shutter on B.

A Tessar does have fewer surfaces than the 5 or 6 element Planar type lens of course.

I have never had great success with lens spanners and have accepted my limitations in that regard.

51716414647_5c2daacd7d_h.jpg

Edited by NHSN
Niels

From that link...

"The idea to use serial numbers beginning with 35.. for the 3.5 cameras came in 1974. According to Prochnow this was shortly before production was ended. Only a few cameras from this range are known to me: № 3 556 084, № 3 556 147 and № 3 556 164. Sources do not agree on the year 3.5 production was ended. It probably was around 1976. Later cameras may have been made from existing parts on special order only."

Interesting stuff.