Removing Exif (Camera Data) from a jpg with photoshop

hmm.. i downloaded the exif plugin for irfanview and it looked like I could only view the exif data rather than change it. Can anyone elaborate on how you're supposed to do it?

Exifer worked fine but wouldn't batch it unless I paid (tightarse scotsman that I am).

Save-for-web's not really an option cos (although I never mentioned this) I want to do this on Tiffs also.

Does using an old version of photoshop strip out only the exif data but leaves all the other metadata? (i.e. keywords etc)?

So still slightly confused as to the best way to do this.

Bill is right that you should use the lossless jpg operation. However, his method isn't the way to do it in batch. If you want to do it in a batch, you need to open the thumbnail view (type "T" while in the main Irfanview window and select a folder which has the images you want to strip the info from). When the thumbnails open, select the images for stripping (CTRL-A selects them all). Then go to the File menu (not the Options as you would for a single image in the main Irfanview window), then select JPG Lossless Operations, then Lossless Transformations with Selected Thumbs. Click Custom in the bottom of the menu that pops up, and unclick EXIF and IPTC. Then hit Start.

This is easier than it sounds, the steps are pretty obvious once you are in thumbnail view with the items selected and choose File.

Also, because it overwrites the original file, you may want to use a copy if you ever want the EXIF again.

Thanks to Bill for mentioning the lossless operation - I usually work from TIFF files when I convert, so I don't have the issue of lossy vs lossless since I'm not rewriting a jpg.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...
<p>If you want to delete Exif and other metadata in a batch mode, and without any picture data loss - you can try <a href="http://www.superutils.com/products/exifcleaner/">Exifcleaner</a>. That's what I personally use for my needs when publishing photos on the Web. And removing of EXIF and IPTC with the help of IrfanView is not enough sometimes - there are a lot of other hidden information stored in JPEG, like Adobe XMP which duplicates almost all EXIF fields: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Metadata_Platform</p>

• 3 months later...
<p>There is a much easier way to remove ALL exif data than downloading programs and saving for web or saving as BMP then back to JPEG, most of which dont work, All you need to do is - SELECT - ALL, EDIT - COPY, SELECT - DESELECT, FILE- NEW-OK, EDIT-PASTE then flatten image. You can of course use keyboard shortcuts on a mac it would be - command a - command c - command d - then file new and ok - command v then flatten image. Once this is done ( sounds complicated but its not ) save the file and once you reopen it there is NO exif data left.</p>

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...