Removing dust before scanning slides?

I use a little camelhair brush, and that's usually enough.

And let us dispose of the question of whether ICE works on Kodachrome. I just took a bad old Kodachrome slide with dust on it and added a nasty scratch. I scanned it on a Nikon Coolscan IV ED with Nikon Scan 4, with zero correction, first with, then without ICE. A comparison of details is shown here.<div>007Ny8-16619184.jpg.18495839edd208a9c305a02fab90c384.jpg</div>

I just got my Nikon Coolscan V today and did a few scans.

I must admit that I am very impressed and surprised with just how good ICE technology works (as shown perfectly in the above example).

Very positive first impressions with this scanner!

Definitely try to remove as much dust as you can before scanning. Using an anti-static brush or cloth is fine, compressed air, anything that won't harm the film.<br>

<br>

"And let us dispose of the question of whether ICE works on Kodachrome."<br>

Agreed. I get asked that question a lot; ICE works on Kodachromes! Some of the finer details may be lost too, but that's true with a lot of film types IMO. I wrote up a webpage to help my customers understand about how <a href="http://www.pearsonimaging.com/digitalice.html" target="_blank">Digital ICE technology</a> works, and to answer the common questions about it.