Shooting with an SB800 mounted on a D200, using any lens, any focal length,

any shooting mode (P, A, S, M), all is well. Using the SB800 as a remote and

the D200's built-in speedlight as commander, all shots are underexposed by 1 f-

stop, using any lens, any focal length, any shooting mode (P, A, S, M). What

am I doing wrong, or is this normal? I am setting the flash menu to have the

built-in be the commander only and the SB800 to TTL, 1/1. Thank you for any

help.

Ricardo Lago

Why are you using the built-in flash as commander while the SB-800 is mounted to the camera? This makes no sense as the built-in flash cannot raise properly with the SB-800 mounted. Besides, the SB-800 needs no commander when mounted directly to the camera.

If the SB-800 actually is mounted off-camera, try increasing it to +1 EV (or whatever is necessary), although this is slightly cumbersome to do via the D200 menus.

I'm not using the built-in flash as commander while the SB-800 is mounted to the camera. What I'm trying to say is this: SB800 on camera, all OK. SB800 off camera and used as remote with D200 sppedlight used as commander, all 1 stop unerexposed. Yes, increasing +1 EV fixes the problem, but it makes no sense that exposure is OK with the SB800 on camera and exposeure is 1 stop under with SB800 off camera with no settings changed except to change speedlight settings in the D200's menu.

BW, The first test I do is to hold the remote SB800 directly above the hot shoe to see if location has anythng to do with it. It doesn't. The object 6 feet away that was properly exposed when the SB800 was on camera is now -1 EV underexposed when the SB800 is remote and commanded by the built-in and sitting within an inch of the hot shoe. I've written Nikon about this and will post their answer if/when it comes.

When I configure the D200/SB800 like that, I get the same results. I just leave it on +1... doesn't bother me too much, since all else is fabuloso. I might be concerned if all I had was +1, but it goes all the way to +3, which seems way more than I'd ever need on TTL. <p>Let us know if Nikon has anything useful to say. If it's just calibration, why worry? You've self calibrated... t

Tom, I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one having the problem. I will post Nikon's answer if/when they have one. Thus far, they have asked for photos as examples of the problem and I have complied. Their response was to tell me that the white wall visible in the examples could affect exposure and added a canned response about lighting/grey cards, etc. They came up with this answer because two examples (SB800 on hot shoe, SB800 as remote with +1EV comp) had a well-exposed wall. Another example (SB800 as remote) had, guess what, an underexposed wall--a clear demonstration of the problem. They missed the point of my question entirely. I restated the problem and am now waiting for their next response.

• 4 weeks later...

hi,

nothing really to add to this except i am also experiencing the same issue with an SB600. As i'm new to flash, i thought it was just my lack of understanding but having tried to find a solution for a few days now i am now finding a few cases where others are having the same problem.

My search so far has led me to a few fora but as yet no answer so i'm keen to watch this thread for progress.

FYI : My experiments and feedback so far can be seen in my forum at the following thread.

http://www.digitalimaging-uk.co.uk/photoforum/viewtopic.php?t=1711

regards,

dave

• 1 month later...