remote for t3i video function

robert100

(1) Does anyone know if the better-quality i/r remotes you can buy for a t3i will operate the video function

(a) from a distance and

(b) truly function as a remote, ie, stop, start, stop, start repeatedly from a distance without having to physically go reset

something on the camera ?

And specifically I mean the larger "probably" better remotes, not those flimsy little rc-6 things.

(2) same question but applied to a tethered-release ? Will they actuate the video function ?

I have a tethered-release for my 40d, but the 40 doesn't have video, so I can't tell anything about this from it,

I bought, thru ebay, one of those tiny little rd-6 things for my T3i specifically to use as a remote for video. When I got it, it

turns out not to work at all (no great loss, it was only a couple of bucks which is why I gambled on buy-to-try) - but even if it

did actually work, once I had it here I can't see any use for a remote which makes me stand in front of the camera and less

than 10 feet away anyway.

Because I was already in E-Bay to buy that RC-6 I also ordered a similar tiny-tiny remote for a Fuji s2000hd super-zoom

I've used for video for years, and it turns out to be useless, because to use it you have to set the camera on "timer delay",

and then, after you actuate it once, you have to walk all the way back to the camera and re-set it once again to "timer

delay" before you can trip it again. Which is useless, because if you're going to have to do that you might as well just set it

on 10 second timer delay in the first place. I anticipated the remote for this camera should work 'normally', because the

video-function is on the selector dial, just as if you were going to use one of the pre-set-auto things like 'sports' etc.

On the T3i, because the video function and shutter-release isn't even actuated as part of the normal shutter-release

button, but is a separate button altogether, I am curious as to how a remote will even make it work ?

I want a remote which will allow me to set the camera on a tripod and walk 50 or a 100 feet away and function with it in

whatever mode i have it set in, ie, to be able to set it in M and activate the shutter remotely as a stills camera, or to set it in

the Video Mode set the exposure, pre-focus the lens manually and leave it there, walk away, and start-stop-start-stop the

video filming from a distance..

Am I expecting the electronic-digital gear to do something it can't do, or what ? Gosh, I had a 12 foot mechanical cable

release and a 25 foot "air-tube" release for years on my RB-67 film cameras which let me be more effectively "remote" than what I can do with what I've seen so far with these.

<blockquote>

<p>(1) Does anyone know if the better-quality i/r remotes you can buy for a t3i will operate the video function</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The connector for an external remote control on the camera does not support video. Only the IR receiver does that.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>(a) from a distance and</p>

</blockquote>

<p>IR is limited when it comes to distance.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>not those flimsy little rc-6 things.<br>

</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The RC-6 (and its predecessors) or a knockoff are the only devices that communicate with the built-in IR.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>same question but applied to a tethered-release ? Will they actuate the video function ?</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

No. The connector on the camera doesn't allow for video operation.<br>

</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I want a remote which will allow me to set the camera on a tripod and walk 50 or a 100 feet away </p>

</blockquote>

<p><br />Outside the general range spec'd for IR.<br>

</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Gosh, I had a 12 foot mechanical cable release and a 25 foot "air-tube" release for years on my RB-67 film cameras which let me be more effectively "remote" than what I can do with what I've seen so far with these.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br />And they worked with those cameras in their "video mode?" There are plenty of options for wireless remotes to shoot in still mode.<br>

</p>

<p>The CamRanger claims to support movies on the T3i. They also claim a range of 150-300 feet maximum. I have used it up to about 100 feet away, but cannot speak to longer ranges. Go to their website or contact them by email for more information. There is also a slightly cheaper device called a WeyeFeye that claims to do much the same sort of thing; again, go to their website for more information.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>DSLR Dashboard is a possibility for Android (a cheap tablet would do it):</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

DSLR Dashboard is wired and limited by distance with USB. It will work with wi-fi, but that's not built into the T3i. I don't think it works with Canon's adapter.<br>

<br>

Cam Ranger will work, but it sounds like it's outside his price range. It does require a smartphone app. It doesn't support live view with the T3i, which makes it very expensive for a start/stop device. Similar for WeyeFeye, cheaper, but they specify limited support for the T3i in movie mode.<br>

</p>

i just had a quick look at the Dashboard idea, and there are numerous discussions being held on the web

among people who can't seem to get "mfr a" to work with "mfr B" part, etc, and I'm not trying to add

complexity, I'm looking to gain simplicity. Plus we're getting into complexities of more and more parts and

pieces, which would become difficult to work with in rough field environments. So I'll pass on that one.

Had a quick look at the Cam Ranger and i'll look at it in more depth later. A quick look at pricing which is

around the 300 buck mark tells me I also have to take a longer look at another option I've thought of, which is

a GoPro and a remote. You can get the camera for the price of a CamRanger and the GoPro dedicated

remote is only 80 bucks......and I'd be gaining a camera which is specifically built for tough field use.

I just got tied up in the game of trying to make one camera which is light enough to be practical as an added

carry-around and have the benefit of being 18 meg, serve two potential uses, and do so without me having to

spend hours editing. I haven't tried to do one, but the t3i software is designed to produce pre-designated brief

"clips" into a single designed video, and if I could trigger it remotely, I thought that may have some potential.

Ah well, life goes on.

Thank you all for the info, most appreciated.