Reminder: D600 Shutter Service Program Ending

c_watson1

I've removed the entire filter stack and converted my D600 to Full-Spectrum.

Do you find that at all useful Mike?

IMO, that turns a useable camera into a one-trick-pony that might see marginal use at best. Neither IR proper, nor a conventional 'panchromatic' monochrome sensor.

A step back to the days of having to haul a bagful of filters around with you, maybe?

Personally, I'm finding the ability to apply virtual (post processing) filters to colour captures for monochrome conversion an absolute boon. Rescuing otherwise bland shots and lifting them dramatically in some cases.

Neither IR proper

Do what?

Ah, OK I think I'm with you. I use it in a more forensic way. So using an LED IR or UV light source in a dark room with an unfiltered sensor (or lens) for documents, textiles and flowers etc.

It works surprising well as a conventional colour camera with a 'simple' IR blocker on the front. With the Sigma 40mm (yes, 82mm filters!) it still manages infinity, and with a pre-set WB looks fine.

I do have a set of IR transmitting filters in 77mm for it if I ever need to play landscape.

Now a true monochrome FX sensor, well that's another thing. There are a bunch of guys grinding off the ENTIRE stack, so microlenses, Bayer layer etc. with some success. They tend to use Canon sensors 'cos the adhesive holding the cover glass is easier to destroy... before reaching the bayer layer. Nikon use something way tougher!

I wonder if any of the major players might go down that route? I doubt it but you never know...:-) You can order the conversion commercially, but that's one expensive one-trick pony! Guess a large mono astro sensor is cheaper?

The original D600 camera was a junker with a cracked screen that went for a song. Replacement on Aliexpress was cheap.

It's amazing what's inside a modern DSLR!

It works surprising well as a conventional colour camera with a 'simple' IR blocker on the front.

Ah! OK, I thought you'd removed the Bayer filtering as well. So just the IR filter removed then?

I suspect that not much UV will get through a conventional camera lens and Bayer + microlens assembly.

I suspect that not much UV will get through a conventional camera lens and Bayer + microlens assembly

Yes and True!

However, due to the lack of Reciprocity Failure in sensors, as opposed to film, time is a great collector of photons.... just take a longer exposure!

UV leds rated at 365nm have a very obvious, visible, overspill up to ~390/400nm. Luckily suitable UV only transmission filters are really cheap (look up zwb2 on eBay or Aliexpress)

You literally can't see if the LEDs are ON except by materials close by, usually cheap printer paper, fluorescing. UV goggles are a must.

I suspect not much below ~320nm gets through at all. Equally Deep UV leds are pretty expensive and using 254nm germicidal lights isn't good for you!