remanufactured printer cartridges? (Epson)

I'm sure this subject has come up before but given how quickly things change. . .

My old Epson R1900 printer does a good job but the small ink cartridges cost ~$14 apiece and run out quickly. "Remanufactured" cartridges are about 1/3 the price but does anybody have any experience using them? Are some re-manufacturers better than others? Recommendations?

Thanks. --Sally

Best advice is Don't. I have some cheap remanufactured in my XP610 and they are junk. I doubt printer profiling software could correct the color error, black text is OK but not as sharp as Epson inks. Refill inks usually fade faster than Epson inks, may damage print heads or cause other problems. In past post Inkjetmall Welcome to InkJetMall got a strong recommendation. I use Printer Ink Refill Kits, Bulk Ink, Cartridges, and Toner -InkSupply as their inks are very good.

I had an 870, R200 that died using Ink Supply refilable cartridges, the printers quit sensing any cartridge installed. I have a C66 that refuses to die and a 2200 photo that I use only Epson cartridges in as I rarely use it.

Post the manufacturer of the cartridges you are considering for an opinion on them.

My latest printer is a Canon (Pixma Pro-10), primarily because it has a replaceable print head ($25), The downside is that it probably must be replace periodically. Canon uses a burst of heat to expel ink droplets. Epson uses a piezoelectric effect, which seems to last forever, unless you get bad ink or fail to use the printer regularly.

My latest printer is a Canon (Pixma Pro-10), primarily because it has a replaceable print head ($25), The downside is that it probably must be replace periodically. Canon uses a burst of heat to expel ink droplets. Epson uses a piezoelectric effect, which seems to last forever, unless you get bad ink or fail to use the printer regularly.

How many print heads does it have? I don't worry much about ink cost because I use an inkjet only for photos. B&W and color laser for all other type of printing. I print black text the most and inkjet can't beat a laser in this respect.

Ink isn't free, even for photos. The Pixma Pro-10 has one print head and ten color cartridges. I get approximately 100 US Letter sized prints per US$133.00 set. I print text, graphics, brochures etc., on a color laser, or text only on a B&W laser. All are wired to ethernet, and accessible from any computer, wired or WiFi. B&W photos look much better on the Canon printer - outstanding grey scale and freedom from banding common to laser jets.

Cartridges are used at different rates. I'm only on the second set. Once I get it figured out, I will buy only what I need for replacements.

• 3 weeks later...