Relational Databases for Photographers

gerry_kruschenske

Does anyone know of the perfect relational database for keeping records of images, customers and invoices that will also do my 84 generic labels on a laser sheet of labels. I am looking for a simple but effective system that is not too costly.

Currently, I am trying to set up MS-Access and I beleive it would be OK for the business part but I am questioning its' ability and simplicity when it comes to labelling on a custom page of 84 labels (slidescribe). I haven't made it to the label part yet as this database is pretty extensive for my current experience. Does anyone know this system and is it OK for someone who has no interest in becoming a computer geek - I just want it up and running and get back to photography!!!! Any enlightening is very well appreciated here.

This one is easy on the best relational database to run your entire business. PHOTOBYTE by Tom Zimberoff(25 yr pro-TIME, NEWSWEEK, etc.). Call them at (415) 331-3100. It is the best on the market, no holds barred.

Then you have to put 'not too costly' on there, and I don't know what you mean. It is business software that does everything you need from thumbnails of your images, to filling out Copyright registration paperwork, client records, taxes, profit & loss, labels, client & image & submission tracking & sales histories, and a ton more. Nothing else even comes close and they have a 'preview' for $50.00 and will provide an hour of free phone time with the preview on your machine to help you see what it will do.

I went to an ASMP presentation in Salt Lake City Tom put on for us and it was the first & only computer type presentation that went off without a hitch. No slow downs, no glitches, nothing.

The program works this way too.

<p>

Then there is Boyd Nortons Slide Captioning System, NSCS Pro. It sets up labels with up to 6 lines of type. Allows changing fonts, italics, and barcoding if you want. It keeps track of delivery memos, images out, submissions, sales histories and tracking.

It is relatively inexpensive and uses the setups for standard Avery labels so you would need to check on the Slidescribe labels. Like Tom Zimberoff, Boyd is a good shooter with experience in what it takes to keep track of everything. They just shoot in different areas, so the programs reflect that. Toms is geared to every aspect of a business-a commercial business and studio. Boyds is not as comprehensive & far reaching, but seems to fit a stock photo operation to a T.

Both are good. (Boyd Nortons is (303) 674-3009 for info)

<p>

If you want the best in the industry that will do stuff you haven't even thought of yet, go with Photobyte. For a bit scaled down version, Boyds is the answer.

I have been looking at many, from expensive to cheap and have found that no matter what, they are all time intensive. I've worked some with Access, Visual Fox Pro, File Make Pro and a few other smaller ones. None of them are nearly as easy as these two. I have had other major name programs and they don't perform on this level no matter what I read in their literature.

Try one of these and you will probably be more than happy, especially since you don't have to 'program' and set up your own thing. Both work and take a lot of the work out of the necessary evil that is a computer in todays business.

Good luck!

You might want to look at ImageAXS Pro. There's a web page for

the company at <a href="http://www.dascorp.com/">http://www.dascorp.com/</a> with

a downloadable demo version of the program.

<p>

I've no idea how well it works or exactly what it can do, but

if you dig around on the site and download the demo you might

find that out. I've used MS-access

for some things and it's OK, but you have to do work and it's

not especially image friendly! It's outstanding advantage is

that you can make it do just about anything you want to (if

you can figure out just how to do it!). Not really for the

non-programmer though.