'Rejects' - or images that at first sight ....

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by Tony Parsons, Jul 12, 2019.

1. To each her or his own. I delete quite a number, but not enough. Once in a while something takes me back to an old directory, and I am sometimes amazed at how much junk I have left there.

Dieter Schaefer likes this.
  2. I deliberately save some images that are borderline to use for abstracts. But those that are trash per se get dumped. Quite honestly, I don't trust what I see on my camera's view screen, so I upload and then delete as necessary.

3. Not deleting images, for me, is a lot like keeping that little screw you just found but have no idea what it is for. If you do happen to come upon an application where it might be needed, you complete forget you have it, and go buy a new one anyway.

4. I do it in FOUR directories/folders.
    I make copies of the files at each step and work on the COPY of the files.
    Because during cuts/culls, I have been known to click delete on the WRONG file :eek: Lesson: don't edit files when you are tired, and PAY ATTENTION. The "delete" option on the menu is not separated enough, and if you don't pay attention, you can hit "delete" when you don't want to delete. Done that too many times. :(
    "Delete" is right next to "rename."
    • #1 - originals, EVERYTHING (well almost everything)
    • #2 - 1st cut. Everything from #1 copied into a 2nd directory where I cull out the junk; like the accidental shot of my foot when I accidentally pressed the shutter when the camera was pointed down, OOF shot when the lens was in MF rather than AF, OOF shot where the lens was focused on the background rather than the subject (sometimes if is isn't too bad, I will keep it), totally blown out exposure, etc.
    • #3 - working shots, 2nd cut. Everything from #2 is copied into a 3rd directory. Here is when I start cutting based on the image content; keeping the ONE shot out of a 10 shot burst, deleting image that I don't like, embarrassing subject shots, bad lighting, etc.
    • #4 - edit, Everything from #3 is copied into a 4th directory. Here is when I edit the results from the 2nd cut. Level, crop, color balance adjustment, lighting adjustment, etc. And during the edit process I will cut images that I determine are not worth editing.
      • If I am shooting sports, at this time I will sometimes also rename the files with the player number as the first 2 characters in the name, like 07-DSC12345.JPG, where 07 is the player number. This makes sorting and grouping by player much easier. It also clearly tells me when I have a LOT of some players and only one or a few of other players, so next time I have to get more pics of the other players.
      • This rename phase is when a LOT of accidental deletes happen, as "delete" is right next to "rename" in the menu.
    Once all this is done, and I am happy.
    I will CAREFULLY delete directories #2 and #3.
    So in the end, I have the original files and the final edited files.

Sanford likes this.
  5. BTW, I don't know who the UI people are at MS, but IMHO, they flunked UI design when they put a destructive item like DELETE right next to RENAME.

6. I have a Panasonic GX1 that has the entire camera "Reset" positioned between card "Format" and "Number Reset". Couldn't be in worse spot.

7. I upload my digital files into my computer then save edits I like into folders, most of that goes into my host site (Zenfolio). As of now, every digital file I've uploaded remains, and I do find myself revisiting images or blocks of images, at times. I reformat my SD cars constantly. I'm not that far into film but have everything I've ever shot- mostly negatives but some proof prints and a couple contact sheets... so far. :)

8. "Love it or heave it"
    is one way of doing it. :)

Dieter Schaefer and Gary Naka like this.
  9. :eek:

10. PapaTango

PapaTango Itinerant Philosopher

Having spent years chasing the perfect PanX/Microdol crispness, OOF or blurred shots were never something I appreciated. I find that this has changed a bit. Here is one I almost deleted from a couple weeks ago--and "rethought" just the other day. Called 'Travellers' it will be included in a planned show! Sometimes it takes weeks or even years to bring new eyes to a shot. Hence, I never delete anything--except of course those occasional shots of my shoe or the sky... :rolleyes:

View attachment travelers.jpg

David_Cavan likes this.
  11. I really like that shot. But as you say in my first cut I might have deleted it - although there is something about that one that grabs you immediately. I think it's the girl's eyes - that's 99% of that shot.

12. Well said!
    I deleted 6 full photoshoots through my career. No looking back. :mad:

13. I never delete in camera but cull images once I am home. How many I keep varies - more if it is from travel, less otherwise; but in general, still too many. Storage isn't that cheap once you realize you need a 6TB drive just to hold your images (and two more to back those up). I seem to be shooting less nowadays, but image file size is increasing with MP count - and overall the storage needs increase.

14. david_henderson

david_henderson www.photography001.com

I delete probably 20% in-camera, and a further 40% on loading into Lightroom. I'm indecisive. This is nowhere near enough. If I could be bothered to revisit files after even a few weeks, I could probably lose another 20% at least & the only reason I don't is that I don't want to waste time going through pictures I don't much like. I have never, in 11 years of digital photography, regretted deleting any image or found a use for anything if only I hadn't deleted it. In a previous life using MF film I threw away at least 25% of the frames I took, and put another 60% minimum , still in strips, in albums and put them in my attic, literally never to be seen again. If we move they'll be in the skip.

I find both the process and the result of getting rid of images cathartic. I like my collections a whole lot better when they are of manageable size and the good stuff isn't smothered by piles of rubbish. I like what I've done on a trip much, much better after I've got rid of the worst. And btw I don't junk stuff because I'm hugely prolific- 100-150 shutter presses a day is a really big day for me on a trip geared around getting pictures; but I still get enough duplication or( in retrospect) bad pictures to throw a large proportion away. I really struggle to understand the thought processes of people who think that everything they do is of value, might be of value, or relish searching endlessly through a back catalogue to find an photograph they didn't much like first time . Its hard enough to choose between the 10-20% that I quite like without expanding that universe & reminding myself that most photographs- mine and other people's- are junk.

15. For me, a lot depends on the type of pictures I'm talking about. I delete many of my uninteresting vacation snaps, knowing they will be of little or no use to me in the future. I keep all my more artistic and creative stuff, since I often need some perspective on those to really get a feel for them and time often changes that perspective, as I and my tastes and my seeing all keep changing ... thankfully.