Refurbished: What does that mean?

abufletcher

When a camera is listed as "refurbished" what exactly does this

mean? Was it a dud rejected by a prior owner and returned under

warrantly to be "fixed" for resale? Was it a "demo" that was sent

back to "the factory" for a sprucing up?

I don't know why but I actually feel less confident about

a "refurbished" camera than a "like new" one being sold "second hand"

by the original owner.

It depends. If it is a Nikon 'refurb' chances are nothing is wrong with it -- a warranty is provided if a problem arises. Once I sent in a SB-24 speedlight for repair, Nikon returned a 'refurb' SB-24 that worked like a new one. The cost was less than a new one and they kept the old unit sent in for a fix. Some 'refurb' units may have been salesman samples checked over and re-boxed. Some are items that folks return for lack of reading and understanding the instruction manual.

I've bought two "refurbs," most recently an Olympus E10. They're both great, no problems. IMO, a refurb sold by a reputable company like Nikon, Olympus, Epson, etc., would be as good as brand new. Do read the warranty ad closely, though, because the time on the warranty is usually much less than if you paid full price at a store down at the Mall. But then, if a camera is covered for 90 days, I think if it's got problems they're going to make themselves known within 90 days.

Hi Donald

It might mean thee was a problem when it was first sold and returned under warranty for repairs. Once brought back to Factory New SPecs. It would be sold as "Refurbished". Usually at a bargain compared ot new prices. I bought a lens once, the 135 f/2 D DC, that was refurbished and it never had a problem. Relly when you think about it, a refurbished product gets a closer inspection because it was returned. Personally, I would prefer a refurbished to a used, because the "refurb." has been reinspected and repaired. The used might be like new, or not. But might have never been checked out for a few years.

Just an opinion, but I think the "Refurb" is a better way to go, and it does have a warranty

Rob

In general refurbished refers to an item that failed to perform (at the store or within the waranty period) and it was repaired by the original maker to the original specification. Many times they carry the same warranty as the new items. Many feel that such units are better tested than the average "new" ones.

My take is that if it is refurbished I would consider it if, first, it is from a reputable store and manufacturer and, second, if I can see it (the cosmetics may not be "like new"). The $$$ savings may make the difference, too.

Actually, Dimitri is wrong. What it means is that an item was returned to it's original specs, but legally cannot be sold as new. In fact, MANY refurbs have NEVER FAILED to perform. Often, they were returned by someone who wanted something else, or couldn't figure out the instructions. As long as the item is MANUFACTURER refurbished, and comes with a short-term warranty, it is likely to be a serious bargain. I SEARCH for those types of re-furbs, because the item is as good as new, for FAR FAR less money. Example: I bought an Olympus E-10 refurb for $600, when a new one was $900 heavily discounted, and $1200 list. In Audio gear, I got a Nakamichi DR-10 which is a state of the art cassette deck for $190 MFR Refurbed when list price was $800, and the heavily discounted retail was $500.

I've probably bought ~50 electronic items that were manufacturers refurbs. 47 out of 50 were exactly as new, and the other 3 were returned or exchanged under warranty for ones that were.

Add my voice to those singing the praises of refurb's. I bought a Nikon "B" version (their version of factory rehabbed) of the F5 from Pro Photo in Oregon several years ago as a backup. It was and is virtually indistinguishable from a new one at a great savings. Came with a warranty and everything. Looked absolutely brand new. As another above said, I wouldn't doubt that it was better inspected before being re-released than any "new" F5 ever is.

For the record, I just jumped into rangefinder photography when I was recently at B&H and stumbled upon a similar deal from Contax. B&H has a bunch of reconditioned "used" G2's and lenses that are in absolutely brand new condition. In original boxes with new manuals and paperwork and a complete one year Contax warranty. Bought a G2+ 45mm lens + TLA200 flash for $799. I added a 28mm and a 90mm lens for a total expenditure of $1488; a saving of about 50%.

This stuff is literally brand new - just perfect. I now have a breathtakingly wonderful "travel" kit that ALL TOGETHER weighs less than my F5 with my 28-70/2.8 attached. It may say "refurbished" on the box, but it was virtually brand new in the boxes.

I would trust a factory refurbished camera from a manufacturer way before I would trust ANYBODY on Ebay or even KEH for that matter.

• 3 years later...
I recently purchased a refurbished Nikon Coolpix 7900 digital camera and was told by the seller that sometimes refurbished is only an item sent back to the manufacturer for inspection when a camera store or seller goes out of business. Some re-sellers will but the unsold/new inventory and need to go through this process. I'm sure there are indeed retooled cameras classified as refurbished but my 7900 looks and performs like new.