Refurbished Canon EF Lenses -- Your Thoughts On.

jimvanson

Hi all I could use opinions -- both positive & negative -- on purchasing

refurbished Canon EF Lenses from a retailer like Adorama.

I'm looking for a 17-40 F4L, a 100 F2 & a 135 F2L. There are 100 F2's presently

offered. I think those are a great buy because they are not part of the newest

Canon Rebate Program.

Earlier this week I missed out on a refurbished 17-40 F4L because I waffled over

it being a wise buy -- or not!

Thanks!

Generally, it's a good idea.

Lenses, unlike camera bodies, tend to keep their value. There's no real depreciation associated with age, save for an initial 10% drop after it's bought. After that, the value of a lens is determined by its relevance. When Canon moved to crop sensors, for example, the mid-range zooms that started at 28mm lost a lot of value, but the telephotos weren't significantly affected.

That means that when you buy a refurb, you can usually resell it for almost exactly what you paid for it.

The advantages of buying a new lens are twofold: First, you'll know for certain no one else has messed with it, dropped it, or abused it. Second, the warranty covers some basic adjustments to AF and lens alignment that you won't have with a refurb. On the other side, the refurb is likely to have been checked out and calibrated to a greater extent than the new lens.

Per specific dealers, I've heard of no bad experiences with KEH. I can't speak to Adorama, but the main store is reputable, so I suspect the refurb department would be as well.

DI

My experience with Canon refurbished EF lenses has been excellent. The only difference between the refurbs and a new lens is the brown cardboard box the lenses are packed in (as opposed to the colorful retail box). I've never been able to find the slightest physical imperfection in a Canon refurb lens, and the functioning has been perfect as well. I think that refurbs probably get a more careful inspection than lenses shipped directly from the factory. I wouldn't have a second thought about buying a Canon refurb.

Hi,

It sort of depends upon who does the refurbishing. If it's done by the factory or an authorized service center, the lens should be as good as new. It may show some cosmetic signs of use, but should have been checked out completely and have any worn or damaged internal parts replaced. It would then have been properly calibrated, too.

I agree, it should come with a limited warranty - perhaps 30, 90, 120 dyas - giving you a chance to check it out for yourself.

I'd bet Adorama's refurbs are done properly and come with a warranty of some sort. I'd also trust B&H and KEH in this respect. Major retail outlets often sell off their demo lenses from time to time, too, possibly listing them as refurbs.

One thing to watch out for, sometimes older refurbed lenses are previous versions or now-discontinued models, for which accessories like lens hoods might be hard to find. (Although that's not a concern with the 17-40/4.)

I have two or three refurbished lenses in my kit that all work great. No problems at all. It's a good way to stretch the budget or possibly save a little on a lens you expect to use less frequently, but really need for certain purposes.