Refurb D600 has 5436 actuations!

peterd

<p>Hi All, got a question. I bought a refurb D600 that I just unboxed from Adorama and I was expecting some light usage, like maybe up to 500 pictures. However this thing has over 5000! This to me is not refurbished but rather used. I am headed to portland where I planned to get a lens no tax. Should I send this back to Adorama and just get a new one? I am kind of upset by the count. Peter</p>

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>First of all, refurbished cameras are indeed used cameras. In the grand scheme of things, 5436 actuations is not all that many, as the D600 is rated to 150K and perhaps a lot more in reality. To me, what is more important is whether that particular D600 is problem free, but you are the one who is buying and this is solely your decision.</p>

<p>Does Nikon pick up image counts from previously used cards like Canon cameras? On a Canon camera, the file name will go to the next highest number if the card was previously used in another Canon camera. So, let's say camera 1 had an image file name of 1234 then the image file name on brand-new camera 2 will start at 1235.</p>

<p>All refurbished Nikon units sold by Adorama Camera come with a 90-day return-to-Nikon warranty - which includes a 30-day returns period to Adorama - and have all been factory refurbished by the manufacturer.<br>

A refurb will have been checked over by the manufacturer by hand, inspected very thoroughly, diagnosed, and calibrated by experienced technicians, and could therefore turn out to be more dependable than a new item - which will only have been checked by a process of systematic quality control protocol (ie by random sampling as it comes off the conveyor belt).</p>

<p>Refurbs can have simply been pulled from the production line if something appears faulty, or if they haven’t passed the final inspection. Most of the time it is a very minor issue that needs correcting, nevertheless, once it is pulled from the normal flow of production, it gets flagged as a refurbished model, so you may get a unit straight from the factory that has never been used. (I have three myself, and for sure they were all factory-fresh!)</p>

<p>A refurb may also be an ex-store demo, possibly used in field tests or sales displays, or it may have been ordered in error and returned to the retailer (who can't then sell it as 'new' so it has to be sent back to the manufacturer for refurbishment).</p>

<p>In addition, Refurbs come into us with the firmware updates and latest fixes which were carried out at whatever stage it was at when we took delivery. <br>

As to the individual history of a single item, the honest answer is we have no way of knowing. Refurbished equipment is not like new inventory; the manufacturers contact us when they have a batch to sell, and the availability is unpredictable.<br>

However, if you were to ask my personal opinion on whether the equipment that Adorama offers as refurbished is typically less than a year old, based on the regularity with which we receive batches, I'd be inclined to think it is all relatively new.</p>

<p>I hope this helps, but as I noted above, if the OP would like email me directly: Helen@adorama.com I will be delighted to assist in advising on the returns procedure.</p>

<p>Helen Oster<br>

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador</p>

<p>Nikon doesn't warranty shutter actuations. 150K means nothing, except that Nikon designed it to last 150K clicks. If your sample survives 200K or dies at 10K is an open question.</p>

<p>That said it is quite possible a pro used it very briefly. Wedding shooters and sports shooters could rack up that amount of clicks in just two days.</p>

<p>But if it was mine I'd return it.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'd send it back. That is ridiculous.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I disagree. What is reasonable? I often take this number in 1 weekend's work event shooting. It's not being sold as NEW, it's used! 10 is really pushing it, 20 is notifiable!</p>

<p>Unless I'm mistaken, there are reports of NEW cameras having a couple of hundred on the counter and that's just written off as good random factory testing....especially regarding the D600's oil drop problem.</p>

<p>I guess you have a years warranty? </p>

<p>90 days return-to-Nikon warranty, which includes a 30 day returns period to Adorama.</p>

<p>The OP has been in contact with me and I have advised him how to return it to us, so I guess this topic can be closed?</p>

<p>Helen Oster<br>

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador</p>

<p>5,000 on a refurb is nothing. I would take 5,000 on a refurb over 500 on used any day of the week. As already mentioned you have 90 days to see if its working perfectly. Refurb is not new, thats why its refurb, but you get a short warranty that Nikon stands behind and they go over it to make sure its working.</p>

<p>5,000 does seem like quite a bit. I was just looking at an ad on Craigs List today for a 2 year old D700 and it had 2,000. I shoot about 7,500 a year so 5,000 in my hands would be quite a lot of use. I bought my most recent camera in late May and it doesn't have 5,000 yet.</p>

<p>For me, I would tend to have more faith in a refurb than one brand new, because 1st, it is repaired if necessary, and thoroughly checked and tested, and 2nd, the calibration and function is checked thoroughly for this particular camera, rather than a production run which may have only spot testing of samples selected at random. Of course, there is also the matter of a better price. :-)</p>

<p>Somebody who's had a D700 for 2 years and only took 2,000 frames needs to get out and shoot more! If I saw something that odd I'd think there must be something wrong with the camera. Has he not been using it because it has a problem he never wanted fixed, or is it because all he does with the D700 is sit at his desk and fondle it, and which of those would be worse? Or maybe it was bought by a rich guy who got the idea from reading web sites that he just had to have a D700 because it was the only thing capable of taking photos of children, and then he left it in a damp, salty locker on his yacht, getting rocked back and forth and bumped around 24/7 for the better part of those two years before he upgraded to a Leica M.</p>

<p>IMO a camera that's been owned previously should have at least several thousand shutter actuations so I know it's been broken in and used by the sort of person who's not crazy enough to own a really good camera and never used it. Or we could stop looking at shutter actuations completely because it's a pointless metric that tells us nothing about the likely actual condition of the camera, which has much more to do with how was used than how much it was used. These Nikons don't just wear out. I have one that's 50 years old and doing fine.</p>

<p>I'm going to throw into the camp that 5,000 is nothing. My D80 had that after 4 months of enthusiast use. If I had used it for events/paid work, I could easily have racked up 5,000 in two or three weeks of use, before being able to decide whether the camera was suitable for making a living or not. As mathematically shown above, sending a REFURBISHED camera back for 3,000 actuations is like turning down a used car because it has 10,000 miles. It comes with the territory, and if you're more worried about worshipping your camera than using it, then go get yourself a new camera in a shiny box, and leave the refurbs to people that won't spaz out.</p>

<p>Especially with the D600 I would probably rack up a few thousand shots before the return period is over just to make sure I have a copy that doesn't keep throwing oil onto the sensor - unless I am prepared to deal with it on a regular basis. Since a few people report that even after a repair by Nikon the problem resurfaces, I'd be skeptical buying a refurbished D600 since chances are that it had the problem before. </p>

<p>But I agree with some above that 5,000 isn't something that would give me much pause when buying refurbished - after all, I am getting a decent discount and whether the shutter has done through 100 or 1000 actuations hardly makes a difference. In addition, one can't be certain that a lower-mileage one didn't have the shutter count reset by Nikon - and it was "forgotten" for this particular copy.</p>

I guess I will finally chime in here. Its kind of like the thread is going toward the direction of a blood letting here (mine) because

the tone is starting to go a bit neg in regards to my questioning if this is too many shots for a fairly new refurb. A few details I didnt share is

that the body and accessories show a bit more wear than I feel they should. For example the plastic cover screen shows

a lot of scuffing. Big deal right? But that makes me think how did that get like that to begin with. The one on my 5 year old

camera that has traveled the world with me, driven thousands of kilometers and passed many customs is in better shape

by far. I did a lot of research prior and most folks said often the cameras were like new including actuations. This amount

shocked me and I stand by that. What I dont like are comments like I am more interested in worshipping the camera etc.

Its not that at all, because what I think is that someone bought the camera, used the hell out of it and then returned it to

avoid paying for it. Happens all the time. This is not a fair comparison to 10000 miles on a car. Its not the same because

you cant drop the car. :) That said, I did reach out to Helen and I will evaluate the camera but its unlikely I will keep it

because I can do better and honestly my money my choice. Refurb or not 1600 is not cheap and whats at stake here is

that I wonder if that previous owner abused the camera. Kinda like buying a used car from a smoker. No matter what you

do that smell always comes back. Thank you Helen and Adorama for letting me decide what to do and I agree with her, to

me this is now a closed issue.

<p>"The OP has been in contact with me and I have advised him how to return it to us, so I guess this topic can be closed?" (Helen Oster)<br>

<br>

Oh, no no no. This thread will live on for years! In 2018 someone will see this thread for the first time and respond to it! :-)<br>

<br>

<br>

(PS, if it had been me, I would have kept the camera. At least I would know THAT one was working OK.)<br>

<br>

Kent in SD</p>