Refrigerated film & warm-up time

How do you deal with refrigerated film ? I sometimes buy B&W Portra. What if I

let it at room temperature for about two weeks or so before using it ? Should I

refrigerate it right after I buy it until I end up using it? I'm a little afraid about

using my fridge, even with Ziploc bags... I figure it's way more humid than a

photo store fridge, besides it may not be the required temperature.

Let's take it from the basics if you will, since I don't understand the whole

concept of it. Which film types do absolutely require to be kept at low

temperatures ? What about Sensia, Reala and Portra ? My dealer keeps them

all refrigerated. How long could I keep them outside ?

What about warm-up time? In all logic, I suppose Portra was made to be used

at reasonable temperatures. If I'm in a rush and need to use right away a film

from a fridge... should I do it ? How long would you wait?

I realise I may sound way to picky about such details :)

Any fool can put a film in an airtight container sold in supermarkets. It's not a big deal.

Slowing down the chemical processes by storing film cold ensures a consistent response for a batch of film which takes a while to get through. A freezer will slow the processes down all the more. Exposed film deteriorates faster than unexposed.

It is not a problem to use film straight out the average refrigerator in average environments, but a frozen film needs perhaps an hour in your pocket to warm up. Condensation is the problem to consider here.

YOUR answer depends on your humidity. In Las Vegas, Nevada; the humidity is alot lower than Houston Texas in July. When the object brought out of the refrigerator is at a lower temperture than the dew point of the surrounding air; dew forms. Dew forming on the outside of a Coke can; beer; or film package is ok. Dew forming on the film emulsion gives a weird out of focus effect; and makes the film stick to itself when rewind the roll sometimes. Placing a roll of film in ones pants pocket; hands; etc will speed up the warming process; if rushed when in humid conditions. In deep south areas with tropical conditions; only a few degrees difference are required to produce dew on objects; when the humidity is way up in the 70 to 95% range. Here taking ones camera outside from airconditioned areas will fog up the lenses on ones camera. In dry Southern California; little time is required; the humidity is low. In Singapore; we had alot of humidity at times; and allowed many hours for film to warm up.<BR><BR>Cooling slows down the temperature component of film aging. Keeping film cooler makes its shelf life be longer; like milk, beer, butter, bread; etc.

<p>When you buy the film, it's in a sealed container - a little plastic thing for 35mm, for example, and I understand 120/220 comes in a sealed foil package. So it doesn't matter what the humidity in your fridge is; the humidity the film experiences is exactly the same as what it experienced in the photo store's fridge because it's still the same air.</p>

<p>Film doesn't have a specific temperature at which it needs to be stored; you'll find that there's usually a temperature below which the film should be stored, and sometimes different temperatures for short- and long-term storage. Any temperature below that is good (well, OK, submerging it in liquid nitrogen is going to be a problem). Check the package and/or datasheet to get the storage instructions for each specific film.</p>

<p>How long the film takes to warm up depends on whether it's been frozen or just refrigerated, what format it is, and how you plan on warming it up. If you buy a 20-roll box of 35mm film, freeze it, then let it sit on the counter for a couple of hours without opening the box, the film in the middle will be cooler than the film at the outside. If you open the box and take the rolls out, and set them up so there's some space for air to move around them, they'll all be thawed after a couple of hours. Take a couple of rolls out of the freezer and dump 'em in the front pocket of your pants and they'll thaw even quicker.</p>

<p>Kodak has <a href="http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consumer/products/techInfo/e30/e30Contents.shtml">an official document on film storage</a>; it will give you a good general background on this stuff. The <a href="http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/f4012/f4012.jhtml?id=0.3.8.20.10.4.14.3&lc=en">datasheet for Portra 400BW</a> gives the temperature at or below which this film should be stored.</p>