reformatting for windows xp

<p>i have been having a lot of problems with windows vista. i don't necessarily have the money to upgrade to windows 7 yet. i was thinking about reformatting my computer and loading up XP. how hard is it? is it illadvised? should i just wait for 7? opinions?</p>

<p>You don't indicate which computer you have, but you might read <a href="http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01755427&tmp_track_link=ot_faqs/top_issues/en_us/c01755427/loc:1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3970026&lang=en#N1315">this</a> before trying anything. The info applies specifically to HP computers but might be generally helpful. After several frustrating attempts to downgrade from Vista to XP on my new machine, I finally gave up and made peace with Vista. It's working so well now that I've decided not to install the free Windows 7 upgrade, at least not yet. The only problem remaining to be solved is acquiring an SCSI card for an old Minolta scanner.</p>

<p>If you previously had XP on your machine, then you might go for it. There can be as many driver problems when you downgrade as when you upgrade though. To start from scratch, I would create a boot CD, unless you might have an original. But make sure you have the utilities you need to do things like low level formats or partitions, like fdisk, format, etc.</p>

<p>I also would recommend you work through the Vista problems you have. I use XP pro on some computers and Vista on others. I've grown to like some of the Vista features a little more than the XP, like folder views, etc. Vista had a pretty rough start and some bad press, but it's become a pretty good OS.</p>

<p>Have not has a single problem with Vista Home Premium version, except for space on the drive... So bought a Terri-byte drive... BUT, I have implimented many changes to Vista from hints at:<br>

<br /> http://www.winvistaclub.com/<br>

"When you try to upgrade your computer from Windows Vista to Windows 7, the upgrade process stops responding at 62% indefinitely.<br /> <br /> This problem occurs because the <em>Iphlpsvc</em> service stops responding during the upgrade. <br /> <br /> <strong>To resolve this problem, follow these steps:</strong> <br /> <br /> - Restart the computer. Then, your computer will roll back to Windows Vista. <br /> - Click Start, right-click Computer, and then click Properties. <br /> - On the Advanced tab, click Environment Variables. <br /> - Under System variables, click New. <br /> - Type MIG_UPGRADE_IGNORE_PLUGINS in the Variable name field. <br /> - Type IphlpsvcMigPlugin.dll in the Variable value field. <br /> - Click OK three times to close the dialog boxes. <br /> - Start the upgrade installation again." Quote from WinVistaClub... <!-- / message --> <!-- sig --><br>

There are a lot of sources which can give you help.<br /> If you dont have enough memory that can be another problem, but right now memory is quite affordable so its well worth adding it... Turning off some features in Vista, can mean less in memory which can also help.<br /> As the William said, it may be a lot more trouble than its worth, to switch.<br /> Actually, no matter what MS says about Windows 7, Id wait over a year to switch to make sure there are no BUGS in it and probably will never do that. MS brings out different version for THEIR benefit, they make a lot of money every time someone buys the "new" system. A lot of computer users like camera users always have to have the very latest or newest and its not always the best move.</p>

<p> </p>