Reflectors for Weddings/Portraits...What do you use?

rebecca_w.

Reflectors for Weddings/Portraits...What do you use?

Photoflex.....Norman.....Westcott?

32".....42?

any thoughts on the 5 in 1 kits that come with stand?

looking to buy a reflector to use for outdoor and studio portrait work, as well as bride/

groom shots.

what works? what do you like? good points/bad points?

Indoors, I use the Calumet reflectors, large size on a stand and sometimes I have somebody hold the small one to fill in face shadows. I also use a random array of foamcore, and improvised gobos.

<P> Outdoors, I tried using stands and sandbags, but if it's the least bit windy, they turn into sails and tip over or fly away. Outdoors, I'd really try to get an assistant to hold the reflector or the stand. This can be a kid at the wedding if they can stand still for a while. Calumet has a device like this:<BR>

<A HREF="http://www.calumetphoto.com/ctl?PAGE=Controller&ac.ui.pn=cat.CatItemDetail&ac.item.itemNo=RM4040K1&ac.cat.CatTreeSearch.detail=y&type=SPDSEARCH">

42 inch reflector and stand with arm.</A>

<P>I've worked with people who used much more complicated stuff, sometimes getting smoother faces and often just adding to the hubub.

<P>Bride/Groom shots might be fun, getting one to hold the reflector while you shoot the other can get some laughing going.

<P>I've found my reflector with gold and silver in a hatched pattern gave the nicest skin tones.

For outside work reflectors are really only practical if you have an assistant. This is my impression after having assisted many times using a reflector. Also, on a bright sunny day a reflector can be a retina searing experience for your subjects. Even inside, setting aup a reflector and a stand takes as much time as setting up another light.

Outdoors, I have a 30" white/gold reflector that folds into an 8" diameter and fits into my shoulder bag. It's also useful for creating shade or keeping the sun out of the couple's eyes. I picked it up at a photo show for $20.

I'd start with something small then see if you should add more.

Rebecca,

We use reflectors quite a bit, especially the Photoflex 5 in 1. It comes in quite handy. We most often use the Silver/Gold and sometimes use the translucent for tight shots. I also have a few of the 72" ovals but I do not use them as often. As for the stands we use them some but have found that is just easier to have my wife hold the reflectors instead of setting up the stands. We also found that the reflector makes a great fan on hot days for clients who are not used to posing for a full session. Another thing I have found that is great advise if you have never worked with reflectors: tell your clients to keep their eyes closed until just before you shoot. We count to 3 then click, every time every shot. This helps tremendously with clients who have sensitive eyes.

I also like the looks of reflector much better than flash, looks more natural and not as flat. I like the warming the Silver/gold gives the skin tone. Clients like the look to from my experience.

I have wondering about the same thing....which reflector to buy. I have been told that a 44" white/ soft gold is a good reflector for weddings...esp. large groups.

I agree..much better than flash. It really warms up the skin tones with the soft gold.

=)

Rebecca,

I have the 42" 5 in 1 and like it quite a bit. I have never used it for more than about 3 or 4 people, great for that size group. I have a few 72" ovals for larger groups but even with that I have never used a reflector with more than 6 people. Usually for large groups I use fill flash to keep it quick and painless for the subjects.

Hope this helps.