Reflections on the new D5000

dmitry_kiyatkin

<p>Hello, I just want to share briefly my feelings after trying the new D5000. <br>

I sent my other camera in for cleaning and at the same time bought a d5000 as a light travel camera for next vacation. Kit 18-55 and 35mm lenses. As I used it last 2 weeks, I must say that I am very impressed. IQ is as good a D300 or better IMO. But the size and feel are really great. The quiet shutter setting is reallty awesome for my shooting style. If it were full frame (only so that I could use my 24mm, 50mm, and 85mm lenses) and had a dedicated AF-ON buttom on the back, it would be really all I ever need. I suspect that there is a place for a light, plastic, FX based camera on the market. In the meantime, I really like the size and feel of this camera. <br>

I guess there is no question, but I did want to share this with people looking into this camera. <br>

Dmitry</p>

<p> </p><div>00U8IU-161917584.jpg.1a79f3d5fa3cd78c0ced34b43df92cfa.jpg</div>

<p>I've come to think that the perfect travel photo set up is a D5000 with a Nikon 70-300mm VR plus either Nikon 16-85mm VR or Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. Compact, lightweight, excellent image quality, very flexible. The 18-55mm VR & 55-200mm VR are good choices too.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>Whether or not the D5000 is for you really depends on what lenses you plan on purchasing and whether or not the flip screen will be an added value. For me, the ability to autofocus non af-s lenses is just not that big of a deal as I don't own any and the lenses that I do want to use and buy are all af-s lenses. The flip screen/live view would really help me, its a feature that I find pretty helpful. One big downside I see with the d5000 vs. the d90 is the viewfinder quality. The d90 looks better. The other is the fact that the d5000 cannot act as a commander for wireless flash setups. </p>

<p>I honestly think the d5000 is a pretty neat little camera.</p>

<p>Your feelings about the D5000 are similar to those of John Caz ( http://nikonglass.blogspot.com/2009/07/nikon-d5000.html ) though he could not overcome the missing dial syndrome :).<br>

<br /> "Well as impressive as it may be, with the same sensor as the D300, with an articulating screen, with the better live view performance, with a smaller and lighter body and a very respectable price there is a lot to like about this little camera, but there is one thing I just can’t find myself overlooking, and that’s the missing dials and buttons that I have come to expect from all my Nikon bodies. So the wonderful D5000 goes up for sale"</p>

<p>Ive had my D5000 for a couple weeks as well. Purchased as a on the go camera replacing my ancient D70. On the days that Im really serious I prefer my D300/D200 bodies and the pro glass. However, on trips to Philly and NYC I like to go a little lighter. The D5000 is a great little camera for this purpouse.</p>

<p>Sure it doesnt have all the features of the D300, and getting use to using the rear LCD for changing all the settings can be a challenge. Using larger lenses on it make it a little front heavy. But getting D300 image quality and AF ability in a lighter smaller package it great. The more I use it the more I love it.</p>

<p>The abilty to capture video is not a selling point to me. It would not get me to buy any DSLR. I prefer a video camera for video. However, when Im out and about and I see something I'd like to get on video, its nice to have it aboard.</p>

<p>K</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Does anyone know if there is more clearance for the 24mm PC-E lens on this camera? I can't afford both a D700 AND that lens. In fact, I can't afford the D5000 and that lens at the moment, but I might be able to pay about $2,500 some time soon. I can't see myself getting $4,000 together any time soon. My alternative is to just get a Canon 24mm or 17mm Tilt-Shift lens and a new Rebel T1s. That combination might work for me, since I already shoot with a Canon 5D. I have just been wanting to move away from Canon, because I eventually want to get a D700 (or its replacement). Maybe I'll get the adapter and put the Nikon lens on the Canon bodies. That doesn't really solve my problems with Canon bodies though (bad review screens, small RAW buffers and slow shooting performance - both frame rates and shutter response - you can eat lunch between the time when I press the shutter button and when the shutter actually fires - my sister-in-law has a D3, and that thing kicks ass!).</p>