Reduced image count on 1D Mark II

mpd

<p>I have a Canon 1D mark II. I have had it for several years. I have been using 8 GB cards (SanDisk Extreme IV for CF and SanDisk Extreme III for SD). After erasing a set of photos today, the counter which displays the remaing photos shows 246. I had been showing 769 when a card is empty.<br />To trouble shoot I have:<br />Formated both cards in camera<br />Turned off backup<br />Tried both cards individually in the camera<br />Tried a 2 GB CF card (counter showed 168)<br />Tried a different 8 GM card.<br />What could be causing the counter to limit my number of Photos on an 8 GB card?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance,<br />Pat<br />P.S. I am leaving for Pittsburgh in less than an hour. I probably will not see your replies till Monday night.</p>

<p>Patrick,<br>

The Mk II has a quirk that when the image counter gets to 9999, it stops until you reset it (through a custom function). That's why your card is showing the low capacity. <br>

I comes as a real surprise some days when you're shooting away, and can get only 60 images on a 4gig card!<br>

Check your instruction book (or online) for details of the reset.<br>

Steven</p>

<p>Steven,<br>

Thanks for your quick reply. I looked in my manual and there are 31 custom functions. None of them seem to reset this counter. If you or anyone else know the details I would greatly appreciate it.<br>

I am going to google it now. If I find the answer I will post here for future reference.</p>