Red or long end of spectrum

Edwin Barkdoll

A few weeks ago I thought there can be no truly abstract photos, only photos whose origins have been disguised via various techniques; ie every photo is a photo of something.

Or sometimes something more, other.

Does this apply to other mediums for you? Painting, sculpture.....

If there's a difference it is in the medium... starting with a blank canvas, a block of clay is how i sometimes approach photography. In particular for a 'true' abstract. My imagination is the starting point, the tool i use is not a limitation.

Your photo is a classic photo abstract imo.

No recognition of reality ... line, form, texture, color, shape, etc. It makes no difference if you remember the source. But then if you want to take it to another level, to communicate an abstract meaning, something other than an aesthetic or random capture.... that IS a challenge. Suggesting, creating the motion of a moving train or the stillness of death or melancholy or fear, these are abstracts of a more layered and interesting intent.

Edited by inoneeye
  • Like 1

n e y e

A few weeks ago I thought there can be no truly abstract photos, only photos whose origins have been disguised via various techniques; ie every photo is a photo of something.

But what about those scenarios when we can’t remember the source (for whatever reason). Are those photos any more abstract?

Ludmilla, Wayne S. has interesting takes involving his work and Zen. Personally, I think that a photo of a photo has as its subject photography itself - metaphotography. Whaddya know?!? I may have coined a new term.

• Like 1