Red film base? And idea what this is?

<p>Thanks for the replies guys. What I'm going to do is pull the film out a little further and see if there's any emulsion in there. If it is, I'll assume it's microfilm and we had to give up a few frames to find out. If I keep pulling and never see emulsion, than I can only assume it's a dummy roll.</p>

<p>Or at least it will be, by that point :)</p>

<p>This roll (and several others) were all from a customer who found a box of film in a late family member's house. I assume most of them are blank (leaders still out, no crimp on the leader from being loaded), but I won't know until I develop at least some of them.</p>

<p>Kodak made a "direct positive" motion picture film available c 1980. It had exactly the same appearing red, transparent film.</p>

<p>When I asked a Kodak TSR (technical service rep) how this emulsion worked (it would make either a negative or a positive image depending on what was printed on it). His answer was "it's magic". Kodak speak, for a proprietary process.</p>

<p>Hah hah! Thanks Steve :)</p>

<p>I pulled out the leader another few inches, and saw no change in transparency. So I called the customer and told her what you guys told me: that it was either duplicating film, or nothing. Being that all the other bulkloaded rolls were blank, we just gave up on trying to develop this one.</p>

<p>Thanks for the help guys!</p>