Recreating a New Topographics Photograph

it was not too long ago that, from a comment from @samstevens, I learned of the works of the group of New Topographics photographers. In doing a bit of informal "research" on each photographer's work, I found a photo by Stephen Shore that was taken quite near my home- just a c couple miles away in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

Since. I've been meaning to get over there with a camera to make some effort to recreate the shot. Today I finally had both the time and inclination to do so. Here, then, is my own shot of the scene as it appears today, 23 August, 2021- and I include a link to the original from Mr Shore's own website, for your comparison. I've cropped mine to be as close as possible to his. I may have a bit more foreground to include the base of the orange safety stanchion down in front- so mine is a bit of a free-form crop, and not 4:3 or any specific aspect ratio.

Things change, as they will- but the buildings are veery much the same, other than details in paint or treatments. The street is busy in daylight hours- and some people were moving stuff out of the building on the right- loading into a trailer behind the white truck. A large parking garage is going up a short distance away so there are these orange cones & things set out- which actually lend additional similarities between my own photo and the original.

Fun stuff!

Stephen Shore

P8232777.thumb.jpeg.2157f49945b18c751349511e571096ef.jpeg

• Like 3

Wikip: New Topographics - Wikipedia

some of them, like Bernd and Hilla Becher, are more famous than the "movement", at least to me.

I also recommend Paul Virilio's Bunker Archeology (https://www.amazon.com/Bunker-Archaeology-Paul-Virilio/dp/1568980159)

And, of course, some of us 'do' water towers, which might fit in too?

Edited by JDMvW
  • Like 2