Recommended tripod between these please Gitzo or Feisol or Sirui

h_._jm

Hey Guys;

I've always been about buying tripods under $30.

Now I am making a massive jump; given I have good equipment; I figured a good tripod is a must.

I have brought a Sirui K20x ballhead which looks amazing to me coming from the $30 tripods :)

Now I am puzzled what to get; I do want a compromise between weight/size and stability on one hand.

My ball head is rated at 55lb

My heaviest set up would be a 6D coupled with a 70-200 F2.8

These are my choices the ones I liked:

1) FEISOL CT-3441S Traveler Rapid Carbon Fiber Tripod for about $410 USD

2) Gitzo GT1544T Series 1 tripod. New is about $650 but I got deal used in excellent condition for $480.

Feisol is rated 44lb whereas Gitzo is 22lb. However manufacturer ratings are not accurate; and Gitzo is Gitzo.

What would you recommend. I went for these small folding height of about 16 inch only so I can truly take with me overseas in the cabin bag.

Regards

Peter

My main issue with so-called traveler tripods is the height -- they're too short without significantly extending the center column. Also, the GT1544T has been superseded by the GT1545T, which is available new for $650. So, $480 used would be appropriate for a discontinued model, especially is you trust the seller. If you are buying it sight unseen from an unknown seller, I would look elsewhere.

The load should be fine with the 1 series, but to be honest, but I would prefer the 2-series Gitzo for a 70-200mm and just put it in my checked luggage or carry it on the plan in its own bag. My current travel tripod is a Sirui EN-2204 but my primary uses for it are occasional low-level macros and for long exposure needs. If I know that I will be using a tripod extensively while on travel, I bring along my GT3532 and put it in my checked luggage.

Lastly, I have an older Feisol CT-3441s: a nice lightweight tripod as long as you don't accidentally overtighten, in which case the leg twists and becomes a paid to loosen. I believe the new versions have fixed that issue by implementing similar to Gitzo's G-Lock system

I would err in favor of Gitzo for consistent quality, service, and availability of parts.

A series 1 Gitzo has pencil-thin legs. A series 2 Gitzo is the smallest I would recommend for general photography. A 4-section #2 tripod closes as short as 18", small enough to fit a carry-on bag. In carbon fiber, it is as stiff as a #3 Gitzo in aluminum, and two pounds lighter.

This was the quickest forum for me to act upon; So after the first reply I looked around and was surprised that a local shop had really great discounts on all Gitzo models.

I got the GT2545TUS and as you said Ed_Ingold it's only 17.5" Inches so seems like a very practical and well rounded tripod.

Thanks a lot guys

• Like 1

The 2545 is only 48" at full extension, without the column. That's a little short, but better than a taller one that you leave at home. I have an aluminum version which is barely adequate to hold a 300 mm lens without quivering. I use a taller version of your tripod in carbon fiber for video. Fully extended, it is 7 feet tall, and steady enough for a 600 mm (equivalent) video lens.