Recommended Lens for Olympics

I am going to be attending the Olympics in Beijing (where I live, by the way), and plan to use my 5D to take some shots. My longest lens

now is the 70-300 f/3.5-5.6 DO IS, which I fear may be too slow to shoot handheld in some of the venues (no tripods allowed, I believe).

Am I mistaken, or should I try something else? If the latter, what do you recommend, bearing in mind that I'd like to be able to use the

lens even after the O's leave town...

Thanks!

James

The 100-400/4.5-5.6L IS USM would seem to be the obvious choice. Longer than that the lenses get very heavy, very expensive and very conspicuous. You don't want to be trying to hand hold a 500/4L for very long. The 400/4DO IS is smaller, but I think a zoom will be more useful.

If you don't mind 3rd party lenses, Sigma now have a stabilized 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS for around $1000 which might be interesting.

You might want to do some research as to whether or not you'll be able to bring a 5D into the venue.

<p>

<a href="http://en.beijing2008.cn/spectators/n214263111.shtml">http://en.beijing2008.cn/spectators/n214263111.shtml</a>

<p>

The 5th item under 'House Rule 2' might preclude bringing it in. The last item under Rule 4 regarding flash photography could affect you as well. As a real stretch a 5D might be considered to be 'professional recording equipment' referenced under Rule 5.

Clearly you need on of <a href="http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?

id=3349&navigator=3">these</a><p>

But more seriously, sigma as have a new <a href="http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?

id=3347&navigator=3">120-400mm</a> which may work for you, another thought is a canon 300mm f4 with

teleconverter, now I don't think I've ever seen one, let alone used one but would that be any smaller than the other

options?

Since you live in Beijing, at least you won't have your camera confiscated by customs when you fly into the country, as has been reliably reported is happening now. You get it back when you leave, but it's a hell of a way to welcome tourists.

Things don't look nice over there - http://en.epochtimes.com/n2/china/mass-arrests-as-beijing-prepares-for-olympics-1512.html

Even Homeland Security hasn't stooped to that level yet. They just confiscate laptops and memory cards - http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnews/seizinglaptopsandcameraswithoutcause

I am not versed on the exact allowances if any, or not, for spectators to pass security.

I have been (as a spectator) to Previous Games.

From the Canon line up I would initially be looking at the 200F2.8L (or the 135F2L) and having the x1.4 and x2.0 converters in your pocket. If you choose the Canon converters use Black Tape around them. This would be a base as a general lightweight kit, IMO.

I STRONGLY suggest you are aware of the specific allowances to get you past security, and you then have a protocol to confirm those rights, should you initially be refused entry.

As you live in Beijing that will be a lot easier for you than others.

After having clearly identified what you can and can not do, if allowed: I suggest the 70 to 200F2.8LIS and the two converters I mentioned.

My rationale for these choices is predicated on the necessary lens speed you will require, especially for any indoor events.

WW

Based solely on the amazing amount of publicity I am seeing for Nikon, Canon, Pentax etc in and around the venues, I

cannot imagine that they won't allow people into the venues with a camera, even if it is a professional looking one. Tripods,

flashes, etc are definitely forbidden, but cameras should not be. (Fingers crossed)

I doubt that it will be a problem. Certainly worth a try. You might try renting some lenses in case there is a problem, although anything available was likely reserved months ago. Indoors, either the 135/2 or 200/1.8 or 200/2. Outdoors, the 300/4, 300/2.8, 400/2.8, or 400/5.6.

If you want to buy but can only afford a 100-400 or 400/5.6 then I suggest using the f5.6 zoom lens you already have and simply add the 135/2 for indoor venues.

``Somehow I doubt that you'll really be able to insist on your "rights" over there.``

Hey Bob . . .I did not have any expectations on positive outcomes . . . just suggesting a protocol . . . and a protocol to ``deal with the situation`` would have been a better choice of words . . . :)

I`ll be watching this one on HD widescreen, thanks very much.

Cheers,

WW

I mentioned that the premise for my suggestion was lens speed:

Perhaps implied, but not stated, my thinking was also: light weight; compact size (no bags); and the fact that (I have found): the lenses size; colour; amount of lenses; camera bag and number of accessories often dictates to security as to whether it is all ``professional`` or not.

I have found that getting in, is the challenge: not taking the shots, in a calm, relaxed, seated position, once you are in, no matter what the gear is you have, if you are in and do not draw attention to yourself it is usually all good.

This was my experience both in Atlanta and in Sydney, where the front door / initial security was very tight in both instances, wearing my (one) camera over my shoulder with a `smallish` lens on it never presented any problems, but I noted in both cities, those with a camera bag and goodies, mostly far less (technically) capable than what I was carrying were held up, bags gone through and some were refused entry . . . all of which made those paid spectators quite upset . . . as on the face of it they would get far `worse` pictures than I.

For the record, I have only had one negative experience in China: that was being chased by a farmer with a sickle as I was taking some landscape scenery shots of him and his cattle.

WW

Did some research. Here is the official word on what can and cannot come in:

(From: http://news.xinhuanet.com/olympics/2008-07/14/content_8542682.htm)

7、任何未经授权的专业摄像设备;8、刀具、球棒、长棍、长柄伞、照相机与摄像机支架等尖锐物或容易造成人身伤害的

物品;------So basically what they ban include professional video-capturing equipment and camera/camcorder

tripods/monopods.

yeah but . . . who defines ``professional`` and what does that definition mean . . . back to my previous points.

If your translation is literal: it is whether the gear defined as ``professional`` (or not) which matters, and not that the intent or use of it is ``professional`` (or not).

Good luck with your quest

WW

Restrictions on anything other than a P&S camera are very common at U.S. sporting events, concerts, etc. Enforcement varies. But to get the Sports Illustrated kind of shots we'd all like to take home, you have to have long, fast glass AND be down on or near the field in prime shooting locations that you're only ever going to get to by being a working news photographer assigned to the event. Getting something other than snapshots from the stands isn't impossible -- I've seeking working photographers at baseball games go up into the stands for a different angle -- but it's an added challenge regardless of your gear.

"But to get the Sports Illustrated kind of shots we'd all like to take home, you have to have long, fast glass AND be down on or near the field in prime shooting locations that you're only ever going to get to by being a working news photographer assigned to the event."

I don't know. Got these recently at Yankee Stadium.

Seems like your photos were taken from ground level. The more I think about it, the more I like the recommendation of one of the posters

to get a fish-eye lens and take more general pictures, since the likelihood of my getting the kind of shots of the athletes that I have in my

mind is slim. Also, the 100-400 is sooo heavy.