recommended lens for Nikon D90 or Nikon D7000

ric_hunter

<p>hi everyone!</p>

<p>I'd be getting a DSLR this coming September. Im choosing between these two: Nikon D90 or Nikon D7000. Do you guys have recommendations on what lens is best for each to exploit their sensor resolution. Please do indicate if they are expensive and or cheap so i could forecast my budget.<br>

Im into street photography, events, some portraits, nature and landscape. Third party lenses are welcome provided you really recommend them.</p>

<p>thanks so much guys!</p>

<p>Start with the kit lens that comes with the camera and use it until you find it limiting in some way, then expand your lens kit to meet the need. It's more financially sound to wait until you see what you really need than to buy in advance, because if you spend the money on a lens you end up not needing, that may prevent you from buying one that will actually help.</p>

<p>As you expand your lens kit, consider buying used from KEH.com. Even their bargain grade lenses are in fantastic shape and reasonably priced. Let the original owner take the depreciation hit. :)</p>

<p>ric - </p>

<p>I'd go for the D7000 - simply because it does everything that the D90 but it does it better plus it is at the beginning of its product lifecycle - where the D90 is close to the end. </p>

<p>Sigma lens are hit and miss - the 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 (OS and Non-OS) are pretty good (as long as you get the latest versions) </p>

<p>Tamron lenses are good - especially the 17-50 f2.8. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Ric. I'm recently went through the same decision making process and invested in the Nikon D7000 and the AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm lens. I chose the 18-200 because I feel its the ultimate walking around lens. If you not going to purchase and carry several lenses to cover all focal lengths, this lens is a smart choice. Since your into many different types of photography, this lens will cover most of your shooting needs. I have found many times shooting at the extreme end (200mm) knowing that I would have been disappointed in not having that zoom. I've been extremely happy with this combo.</p>

<p>At this point, I wouldn't suggest the D90 unless budget is a major concern...and I might just suggest the D5100 over the D90 unless you NEED an AF motor in camera.</p>

<p>Either way, the 18-105mm kit lens is a good start, but if you're an avid photographer and know how to get high quality images out of digital cameras you'll find that the D7000 out resolves the 18-105mm very quickly. A good friend of mine purchased a D7000 when I bought a D700. He then purchased my 17-55mm f/2.8 DX which makes the D7000 SHINE! It is my personal recommendation for a mid-range zoom to use with this camera. It is attached to his D7000 95% of the time even though it is big and heavy...the optical quality is superb.</p>

<p>The 16-85 is also nice, but you lose the constant f/2.8 aperture. I've not personally used the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, but I understand that is also an excellent choice.</p>

<p>RS</p>

<p>The kit 18-105 is very good. Some if not many turn up their nose at kit lenses just because they don't know better. Think about it. Nikon makes and stakes their reputation on a $1000.00 camera and then puts a lousy defective lens on it? I don't think so. I keep it as a back up to my D90 every day lens and maybe for weddings. It might be a tad better than the 18-200mm in quality result.<br /> 18-105 vs 18-200 http://dslr-video.com/blogmag/?p=592</p>

<p>I bought the Nikon 18-200mm VR as a all purpose/travel lens. It is the only lens most people will ever really need. If it is not long enough the real issue is that the photographer would be better served to get closer. Longer than 200mm results in needing steadiness skills. I rely on cropping to simulate a longer lens. You will be very surprised on how small of a chunk can be cropped and yet still make great 4x6 prints. http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/guides/resolution_and_prints/resolution_and_print_size_2.html<br /> note The D7000 and its greater mega pixels (or D5100) is something that I am considering over my D90 because or my shoot wide and get the perfect crop later technique. I can crop even smaller chunks and still have plenty for 4x6 prints.<br /> I paid $550.00 ish used. It is wide enough for general purpose use.</p>

<p>The Tokina 12-24mm is a much loved lens. I did practically an entire wedding with this lens. It is great for my technique. Shoot wider than all the text books teach and then get the perfect crop later. I would be very unhappy if I could not have this lens. 30 years ago I though tele was the cats meow. Now I realize that many of my best shots were close or wide. http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/digital-wide-zooms/comparison.htm I paid about $450.00 used</p>

<p>I don't think the sensor is a Nikon lens performance issue as much as your technique is a sensor issue. (shoot wide and crop) I had some Sigma lenses when I first went digital with a D50. When I got my first Nikon lens it was bye bye Sigma. Be very careful with third party unless certain they are equal quality.</p>

<p>The Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 and 18-200 VR are very expensive lenses, especially the 17-55 f/2.8. The 16-85 VR is also an expensive lens. I agree with those who say to get the 18-105VR kit lens. It's a very sharp lens at a reasonable price. As you shoot you'll learn for yourself what other focal lengths you need.</p>

<p>I also agree with the D7000 over the D90. If you want to save money, look at the D5100. It's a very good camera if you're sure that you won't need any non-motorized lenses. However if money is tight and you may want some non-motorized lenses, the D90 is still a very good camera. So the D7000 would be my first choice for you with the D90 or D5100 as good choices if money is a factor.</p>

<p>I would recommend the Sigma 50mm 1.4 which is a fine portrait performer. With the crop factor, it is a good alternative to the portrait king Nikon 85mm 1.4 which cost 2-3 times. But keep in mind, if you want it you have to test the samples yourself in order to get the perfect focused one. Quality control in Sigma is a little behind those in Nikon or other bigger named manufacture. If you are on a budget, you can always get those great old Nikon lenses from the film era. They are fine performers and usually cheap compared to those new AF ones. Though you mentioned you are more likely in to street photo and landscape. But I still want to recommend the old Nikon AF 300mm f4 IF. It is one of the best glasses Nikon ever provided to the photo industry. Get one in case some day you want to shoot the birds.</p>