Recommended K-mount lenses to rent with K-1?

michael_elenko

<p>Howdy everyone,<br>

I’m renting a K-1 in a few weeks and am seeking recommendations for a couple of current K-mount lenses that I can also rent that would help bring out the full capability of this camera. I left the Pentax world several years ago, but have seen some great shots with the K-1. I’m faced with an upcoming choice whether to upgrade to a Canon 5D Mark IV, but my sense of due diligence is telling me to check out the K-1—on paper it seems outstanding. I’ve kinda been awaiting this day for a while as I have intentionally held on to a few of my favorite K-mount lenses including the Voigtlander SL 125mm which I look forward to testing out.<br>

I do a lot of cityscape and landscape type of shooting. I’m tempted to rent the new Pentax 15-30mm f2.8, but that thing is heavy. Have any of you used the FA 31mm on a K-1? I’m pretty OK with my stock of 50mm lenses. Have folks used the FA 77mm much for non-portrait shooting?<br>

All suggestions are welcome.<br>

Thanks,<br>

ME</p>

<p>Since I don't own the K1 it's hard for me to offer advice. The 20-35 f4 FA seems to be well respected by K1 users. I have the lens, but not the camera, sorry.<br>

Actually I have lots of advice to offer on good lenses that worked wonders on film bodies with the same sized exposure area,but I don't know how they translate on a K1.</p>

<p>Thank you both. The weight issue is of great concern and I'm feeling a little frustrated because the ultrawide focal range is most popular with me. I wish the FA 20mm were commonly available. I wish even more that Pentax comes out with a modern version of the 20mm along with each of the FA Limited lenses. I guess patience is a Pentax virtue.<br>

<br />ME</p>

<p>I recently got the 15-30/2.8 and it's great! The downside is filter use but I understand there is a square filter holder that works. I've been enjoying it filterless. It's also pretty big but I can live with that. I also have the Rokinon 14/2.8 if I need a smaller option to travel light.<br>

I'm probably most interested in the Pentax 70-200/2.8 next. I have a Tamron 28-75/2.8 for the middle range already. The Tamron 70-200 is also tempting but I think I'd prefer weather sealing even at that big premium. <br>

Besides those I use the FA 77 on the K-1 quite a bit and it's a great match. I'd love to see an update of that lens with seals, quick shift, and new coatings. </p>

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for comments. I ended up outright purchasing a bundle of the K-1, DFA 24-70mm, FA 50 f1.4, and the FA 77

f1.8. And then, somehow I found a FA 20mm f2.8. I shoot a lot at 16-24mm, so this should help bridge the gap until

modern lenses get released, preferably lighter in weight.

Stay tuned.

ME