Recommended flashes for Canon 10D & wedding photography

I have both a Canon 420EX and a Sunpak 383 that I've used successfully with the 10D. The

420EX is very dedicated/automated and relies heavily upon the camera's controls to

function properly. The 383 is not dedicated at all and evaluates exposure based on its own

built-in flash sensor.

For weddings, I'd want to have at the very least a nice, big Lumiquest bounce attachment

and you need to set your camera/flash system up for the very bright, white wedding gown.

You'll likely need to use +1-+2 EV flash compensation for many pictures. It's best to save

exposures in RAW so you have greater tonal depth to work with.

Good luck. I long ago stopped shooting weddings as the mothers of the brides near drove

me crazy. ;-)

Godfrey

For inexperienced, hassle-free flash shooting, get a autoflash, like tha aforementioned Sunpak 383. That would probably be your best bet if flash shooting if this is new territory for you. The 10D's first-generation E-TTL flash metering system is heavily weighted towards what is at the active focus point. This can result in bad flash exposure if you don't pay attention to the tonality/color of the object at the active focus point. For example, if the active focus point falls on the bride's white dress in one shot, and the groom's black tux in the next shot, you'll get two very different flash exposures. Canon's latest E-TTLII is much better because it no is no longer linked to the active focus point, and uses different algorithms. One way to avoid the 10D's E-TTL sensitivity is to use Custom Function 4, which puts autofocus on the (*) button and leaves shutter release on the shutter release button. This un-links E-TTL flash exposure from the active focus point, allowing much more forgiving flash exposures. If you do this, go with a Canon EX flash, such as the 550EX or 580EX. Both are very powerful, with fast recycle times. And make sure you give yourself plenty of time to practice before the wedding.

For off-camera work, keep in mind you will need a way to trigger the flash. For dedicated flashes you need one master on the camera to trigger the slave flash(es) via infrared. If you use a non-dedicated flash you'll need something like a pocket wizard to trigger them. Be aware that the 10D cannot trigger other canon flashes using its built-in flash. You also can't

If you are renting, get 550s, not 420s. 550s can be both master and slave, 420's are slave only. They probably would not be that much more to rent, but will perform much better than the 420's which are slower to recycle and even worse will not fire at all if not fully recycled The 550's will fire with whatever they've got when triggered, so if you shoot before they are fully recycled you still get an exposure (though maybe a tad underexposed) where with the 420 you'll get a dark (completely underexposed) frame.

I have a 550EX and both a D30 and a 10D but for weddings, unless you've taken the time at the kitchen table to read the manual and learn how the stupid thing works, the results can be..... well, we'll just say, less then optimum:)<p>

With that in mind, I've read from many folks postings that the Metz 54MZ3 and an off camera bracket is the way to go. The secret is in the thyristor which, from reports does a much more accurate job of reading light when in either a back lit or front lit, ambient light lighting situation. It can be hard to get these exposures right. It's much better with E-TTL II and the likes of a 20D.<p>

In the case of Canon's 550EX, it's an excellent flash but you have to be on top of the ambient light and whether or not to dial in a plus or minus over/under exposure into the flash unit. If not done correctly, you'll get bad flash lighting.<p>

So from all that I've read, if you're wanting something for a first time wedding, my recommendation would be to go with the <a href="http://hotbuyselectronics.com/metz_54mz_3_for_canon.htm">Metz 54MZ3.</a><p>

Also, give serious consideration for an add on <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=655">flash reflector</a> to diffuse the light of the flash so as to soften shadows.<p>

Be sure to bring, not one but two sets of fresh batteries plus the fresh set that you installed in the unit, BEFORE you leave the house:)

You might also consider picking up a book and giving it a look see to give you lighting suggestions. All this will help in the success of what it is you so thoughtfully endeavor to accomplish.

I have a 550EX and both a D30 and a 10D but for weddings, unless you've taken the time at the kitchen table to read the manual and learn how the stupid thing works, the results can be..... well, we'll just say, less then optimum:)<p>

With that in mind, I've read from many folks postings that the Metz 54MZ3 and an off camera bracket is the way to go. The secret is in the thyristor which, from reports does a much more accurate job of reading light when in either a back lit or front lit, ambient light lighting situation. It can be hard to get these exposures right. It's much better with E-TTL II and the likes of a 20D.<p>

In the case of Canon's 550EX, it's an excellent flash but you have to be on top of the ambient light and whether or not to dial in a plus or minus over/under exposure into the flash unit. If not done correctly, you'll get bad flash lighting.<p>

So from all that I've read, if you're wanting something for a first time wedding, my recommendation would be to go with the <a href="http://hotbuyselectronics.com/metz_54mz_3_for_canon.htm">Metz 54MZ3.</a><p>

Also, give serious consideration for an add on <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=655">flash reflector</a> to diffuse the light of the flash so as to soften shadows.<p>

Be sure to bring, not one but two sets of fresh batteries plus the fresh set that you installed in the unit, BEFORE you leave the house:) <p>

You might also consider picking up a book and giving it a look see to give you lighting suggestions. All this will help in the success of what it is you so thoughtfully endeavor to accomplish.<p>

I shoot with a Canon Digital Rebel and both the 580Ex and the 420EX flash. The 580EX is much better than 420EX. I get the best results when I set my camera on manual and the Flash on E-ttl. I set my focusing to center dot only rather than all seven.

If I need to guarantee flash exposure I point the camera directly at the object I want to set flash to i.e the face and press and hold the FEL button. Works great with Stofen at 45 degree angle. I would recommend the exteranl power pack at a wedding. This flash is really powerfull and will heat batteries up a drain them fast, espeacially if you always bounce flash which I recommend.

My comment will not hel you with your problem since I discovered that the Canon 10D will never provide perfect flash exposure with the Canon flashes. I eventually sold my 10D and bought an Olympus E-1 and flash, and I don't have any problems.

I do understand that the Canon 20D interfaces with the Canon falshes much better than with the 10D.

The only way I could get my 10D, and a compatible Canon flash, to work correctly was to use it in camera manual mode, flash ettl mode, and it seemed to be much closer to a correct exposure...but I had to constantly adjust the flash output on the flash and check it on the monitor screen.

Outdoor fill flah was hopeless.

Sorry for my negative experiences, but that's what happened.

I understand that the 20D is much better with regard to flash.

You might want to sell the 10D and look for something else.

That's what I did and have no regrets.