recommendations on Made in China Rolleiflex strap

PaulWhiting

<p>I hope I'm not being xenophobic in my question, in fact I've had several items made in China that are of excellent quality. But how do I avoid the lemons? I like the ones on the auction site that have the scissors type connection, seems they'd be more like the original and more secure than loops of leather and so on. And I find some scissors type straps made of heavy cotton or nylon, I'd prefer those over leather.</p>

<p>Has anyone purchased such a strap and are happy with the scissors quality?</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>Paul</p>

www.paulwhitingphotography.com

<p>I've had my leather worker (shoe repairman) make a new leather strap using the clips from an authentic Rolleiflex strap. This is the most reliable option in terms of clip security.<br>

As far as 3rd party straps go, I have the Fotodiox leather and now nylon straps.<br>

The clips on the Fotodiox have never let go of my cameras.<br>

The leather version seems to have rather thin leather, in my view. I would skip this one.<br>

The nylon strap seems substantial enough.</p>

<p>Robert,</p>

<p>Thanks for sharing your positive views on the Fotodiox strap. I did some searching on the Internet and found some very bad reviews on a couple of sites, that the scissors end slipped and the Rollei crashed to the sidewalk (ouch!). Someone else said the clip fell apart before they could get it on the camera!</p>

<p>When did you get yours? Maybe the quality has improved, the reviews I read were from around 2013 or 2014. </p>

<p>Anyway, your feedback was helpful, I'm very wary about cheap imitations of the original. I just spent a tidy sum getting my Rollei up to snuff, with Harry Fleenor. Would hate to have the strap give way! Thank you very much,</p>

<p>Paul</p>

<p>Thanks, John, and also for the link to Amazon. That's where I ran into some negative views! So it was good to hear your positive view. I prefer nylon too... the leather is classic I suppose, but it does wear out. I also like ordering from a company in Waukegan, Illinois - I used to live two burbs away.</p>

<p>Paul</p>

<p>I bought the Fotodiox straps through Amazon.<br>

<br />If you are worried about the clips, then I suggest you find an old genuine Rollei strap that has bad leather.<br>

You only want the clips on the ends anyway.<br>

My leather repairman made me a new strap (one piece, for simplicity), and riveted the clips on the ends for less than $20 in total.</p>

<p>When you do mount the strap to the camera, make sure that you push the clip ALL the way down in order to secure it. I wonder if the person whose camera fell out had an insecurely mounted clip.</p>

<p>Finally, with the clips being riveted to the leather or nylon, there is a slight chance that the inside face of the rivet may rub up against the side of your viewing hood. I put a small piece of thin adhesive felt on the inside surface of the clip to prevent this.</p>

<p>Robert,</p>

<p>I take your point on installing new leather on an older set of genuine Rollei clips. I've seen other mentions of this approach, and I would prefer it - but where would I find such a thing? I suppose I could keep my eye on the auction site.</p>

<p>Thanks for that suggestion!</p>

<p>Paul</p>