Recommendations on a Cheap CamCorder for Lo-Fi Black and White Videos

jon_kobeck1

Im interested in a cheap video camera that can produce videos that have that old 1960's B&W look. I guess those were

16mm. Any recommendations on a used cam-corder? I don't need sound. I would buy an old film camera but the film is

so expensive. This is the look I am after:

<p>Jon, can you expand on the specifics, in technical terms, of that "old 1960's B&W look" you're after as related to the YouTube video? Whether you're looking for the same noise characteristics, apparent resolution, that type of thing.<br>

<br>

I have an old Sony Vidicon tube ENG camera with that will produce a vintage look when paired with a portable U-Matic recorder, but depending on how critical you are, and specifically what you're after, a similar effect can also be achieved with an older P/S camera that has 4x3 video recording capability at 320x240, rendered in B/W in software, then printed to VHS in LP and recaptured digitally. <br>

<br>

There are many ways to approach this, each achieving a slightly nuanced effect of its own. <br>

<br>

</p>

Michael I am not really sure. I have an idea of combining video with photography in a project I am working.

I am not knowledgeable in the least about video though. I just know what I like, and the "look" I am after.

But with that said, I would rather not have to transfer from VHS to digital (if I don't have to). Is there a way

to achieve that effect and look with digital capture? Perhaps older low-res digital?

<p>Even my old copy of Jasc Paint Shop Pro 7 can do that look in the video editing software. I used that effect a decade ago to add a grunge effect to my digicam video clips and animated GIFs. Windows Movie Maker does a decent job of emulating old style movies, although I don't recall whether it can add the flash-by dust, scratches, cigarette burns and exposure variations.</p>

<p>If you'd rather skip the whole editing process, the <a href="https://www.google.com/#q=superheadz+digital+hedgehog+harinezumi&safe=off">Superheadz Digital Harinezumi</a> ("Hedgehog") still/video cameras were designed specifically for a lo-fi effect. They're about the size and shape of a 110 film cartridge, with a simple wire frame finder. Pricey for what you get, but if you don't want to spend time in editing it might actually be cost effective.</p>

<p>Olympus Pen and some P&S digicams offer some lo-fi video effects too.</p>

<p>Somewhere along the line, probably in a free promo from Starbucks if memory serves me, I picked up an iPhone app called "8mm" - it pretty much does exactly what you're talking about. If you don't mind shooting with an iWhatever, it produces - right out of the app without any post - a variety of retro-licious fidget, grainy, noisy, variously desaturated/b&w/sienna/60's/70's/hipster-monster output on the fly. Used with some creative care, rather than context-less faux irony as most would, it might actually be just the ticket for you.</p>

<p>What you linked to is film. It's also completely out of focus, not just a soft look.<br /><br />You don't need anything special. Basically any camcorder will do. You can convert to B&W and schmutz up the image quality in editing.<br /><br />While if you go back far enough there were B&W consumer video cameras, I don't think there were ever B&W camcorders as such. By the point the video recorder was incorporated into the camera, everything was color.</p>

<p>Jon, another alternative to the Digital Harinezumi - and possibly more versatile - is the original Nikon J1 with 10-30 kit zoom. Not sure if they're still available new but as of late 2013 they were being blown out for under $200.</p>

<p>The advantage to the J1 and 10-30 kit zoom over the Harinezumi is the option for Nikon's VR optical stabilization, and more versatile zoom. Overall it's a very good P&S digicam, really easy to use, no need to b&w conversion in post. Unless you want to add scratches, skips, etc., you won't need anything more complicated than Windows Movie Maker software.</p>

<p>In movie mode, set it to b&w, and there are options for tweaking the monochrome look. The white balance can be used to tweak the tone - I usually prefer the "shade" WB, which lightens skin tones and facial blemishes without softening. It also has various digital "contrast" filters - yellow, orange, red, etc. One quirk of the J1 and V1 b&w setting with red filter isn't documented and possibly a technical glitch - noise reduction seems to fail in the monochrome red filter mode, so stills and videos are very grainy. The grungy look is very much like pushed b&w film. There are a few sample b&w videos on my <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6vHIhBaxck">YouTube channel</a> taken with the V1.</p>

<p>The tricky bit is to avoid blowing out highlights to avoid that telltale digital look. Digital video doesn't handle high contrast b&w as gracefully as film. You'll see that on my sample videos from live music at a favorite local theater, which has excessively harsh lighting on its music stage. Rather than using high contrast light, try moderate contrast light, set the camera to b&w with orange filter for a clean look, red for a grunge look, and meter for the highlights.</p>

<p>Add a cheap Fotodiox adapter and you can use any manual focus lens too. An older or simpler lens with less sophisticated multicoating will help emulate the look of that Warhol screen test. I keep a few older T-mount and F-mount Nikkors handy for that purpose.</p>