I'll be spending most of a week in Tucson in late April

and would be interested in suggestions for new locations

for general nature shooting. I visit there regularly and

have had great times in the Saguaro Nat. Mon. and on Mount

Lemon, but am thinking it might be fun to branch out. (I'd

also be interested in any _particular_ location recommendations

in the Nat. Mon., too. I don't for a minute think I've seen

it all!

If "general nature shooting" includes birds, head down to Madera Canyon in the Santa Rita mountains. It's down the interstate east of Green Valley. Mt. Wrightson is a nice

hike, being the tallest point in the range. If you're lucky you'll run into a black bear to photograph on the trail.

If you like landscape shots, I would recommend the loop hike in Sabino Canyon, in fact I would be glad to guide you. It is a 13 mile hike from the vistors center. You will hike along a stream with running water, massive boulder formations, canyons, different types of vegetation depending on current elevation. It is one of my favorite hikes, parts of it a little strenuous. It has great views. One could also hike part way in and then out again and still see some great stuff. Contact me if interested.

• 3 weeks later...
April's getting a little hot for this site, but Organ Pipe National Monument is a great spot to visit. It's a few hours southwest of Tucson along the Mexican border. Plenty of campsites and two loop drives you can do, though I'd just recommend the Ajo Mt. loop if you're short on time. A short hike partway up Ajo Mt. to the Bull Pasture is nice at sunset.

• 3 weeks later...

One undiscovered place close to Tucson is French Joe Canyon. It is east of Tucson and just south of Benson, a couple miles east of Highway 80 up a dirt road some people consider a 4WD road, but sedan can be carefully driven up and you can walk the rest once that is disabled. Further hiking up the watershed you'll find a spring, often with columbines. I have not been much past the end of the road there, but I've heard there are travatine deposites along the upper wash. Bird life can be exceptional there, with the canyon producing over the last couple years Rufous-capped Warblers, a Mexican warbler, special for Arizona. Hummingbirds are rich there as well. At the end of the box canyon, there is a headwall, that may have dripping springs, ferns, monkey flowers etc., a potentially exquisite, and delicate setting. You never know, last year an Aztec Thrush was seen on that headwall. Be careful of the travatine and be sure not to step upon the delicate formations. This canyon is just south from the as yet unopened Karchner Caverns, and extensive limestone system of caves, a new state park that may open later this year.

<p>

I invite you to leave your Tucson nature photo question in the Arizona Birding Folder for discussion (since we need a little life there!).

Peterson Online North America Forum

<a href="http://www.hmco.com/cgi-bin/WebX?hmi1-14@@.ee6b2e9">

http://www.hmco.com/cgi-bin/WebX?hmi1-14@@.ee6b2e9</a>

<p>

James M. Loughlin, 72540.3441@COMPUSERVE.COM, works at Sagurao National Park East (rather than West I think). He may have some tips about photogenic spots within that park.

<p>

Also, within the Peterson Online Forum, we have an Optics and Photography Forum, serving birders and naturalists.

<p>

Chuck Williamson, Tucson AZ

Peterson Online Links and Forum Editor

ChuckW4hmi@aol.com

If you're interested in photographing native species of plants and animals I would heartily recommend the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum on the west side of Tucson. Though the animals are captive the habitats are considered world class. It's surprising how often their mountain lions turn up in published photos. They also have a walk through aviary, though you are also likely to see many of the same species outside. On the grounds are native plants. The areas around the museum also present some great locations.

• 2 weeks later...
The Saguaro Forest in Saguaro NP-East is great for landscape shots of a pristine forest of Saguaro cacti. Also, if you are a hiker and have at least 1/2-day, consider hiking up Wassen Peak! I have obtained some excellent bird shots on that trail; the views from the top, or various points along the way up are spectacular of Baboquivari, the Catalinas, etc. Also should be a good season for wildflowers!