RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE BEST MECHANICAL FILM CAMERA

Hi everyone,

I've been reading all sort of threads in this page for so long, but just recently decided to sign up to become a member, so, uhm, hi :)

So after multiple times having my batteries died out in the middle of the day, or feeling a little uninspired by the look of lots of cameras with theirs gimmicks, I want to settle down for just one.

It'll need to be mechanical, so that I won't have to worry about battery (problaby won't gonna even insert them in, 'cause sunny 16), and plus I can live with the illusion that my camera gonna last with me 'till the end of time.I really don't need anything complicated, simply just a tight dark box that takes 35mm will be fine by me.

Probably gonna stick in a 28mm for just about all the time, maybe a zoom telephoto if I see some animals (who doesn't love animal?)

Like I said, all the gimmicks like auto-exposure are unnecessary for me. I just need metal camera that can go with to all corners of the world, and never fails me. (And also can build a system without too much money, can't able to drop out of college)

I know there're all sort of "Top 10" articles on the Internet, with cameras from Nikon Canon Pentax Oly Minolta Topcon Leica ... that can easily answers my question, but many choices doesn't mean it gets easier to choose, especially when the thing you look for are other's experiences.

So if anyone have some recommendations, that'll be so great !

Well, if you are looking for a rangefinder body with interchangeable lenses, it is hard to beat a Leica, but you cite cost as a factor. However instead of an M3 or M2, you can get an older Barnack style body using the Leica thread (LTM) mount lenses by other Japanese manufacturers for a lot less, but any camera this old may probably need a CLA which would run about $200, but probably be good for your life. IMHO the best deal out there right now meeting this criteria is the Canon P, but the viewfinder only goes to 35mm, so if you really need to frame accurately, you would need an accessory finder. Lenses would be the expense, but well worth the prices. Now, if you are looking for a SLR instead of a RF, I can attest to the durability of a Yashica FX-2, cheap as dirt. Leave out the battery if you don't want to use the meter, and you can use Yashica or Zeiss lenses or others like Vivitars in a C/Y mount, even old Pentax lenses, like the early Takumar series, with an inexpensive chinese adapter. . I loved mine for its durability and really good viewfinder. There are so many choices out there, you should really go to a well stocked camera shop which has lots of used bodies and see which one strikes your fancy and ergonomically feels like it is wedded to your hand. I've found really good deals on the big auction site, but you need to do due diligence and waitfor the right one to come along at the right price.

I now have a Canon IID2 (I believe) which seems to work fine on all but the slowest shutter speeds.

CLA would be more than the cost of the camera.

The Nikon F and F2, as well as I know, often work fine without CLA, even after many years.

The FM, FM2, and such, maybe not quite as long.

I have the Canon VI that took my baby pictures (one year and up), and it seems to be doing

fine without CLA.

-- glen

I've been using a Nikon F3T (fancy version of F3HP). I have no doubt this camera will do what you want. It's small, rugged, has many lens options, and just has a perfect feel to it. There are a couple of outstanding 28mm lens choices, including the 28mm f2, which I have and love. It does take a tiny battery, to run the meter. The battery lasts a long, long time though. I keep two spares in my camera bag (they are tiny) but have never needed them. Even if the battery goes out the camera can still fire at 1/60s mechanically. The Nikon F3T (F3HP) is the perfect camera.

Kent in SD

Praktica MTL5 (or MTL3), practically indestructible cameras with a very sturdy metal FP shutter. The meter runs on a single PX625 battery, but the camera is entirely mechanical. With the M42 screw mount, it will accept hundreds of lenses; in the pic it wears the beautiful Super Takumar 28mm f/3.5, a little gem of a lens that won't break the bank. This outfit has traveled around with me for years, and has never missed a beat.

Praktica MTL5

574514004_MTL5Pnet.thumb.JPG.2f9a0855c4f8faaf9e0f4f018d1e532a.JPG

Edited by rick_drawbridge
  • Like 1

Well, if you are looking for a rangefinder body with interchangeable lenses, it is hard to beat a Leica, but you cite cost as a factor. However instead of an M3 or M2, you can get an older Barnack style body using the Leica thread (LTM) mount lenses by other Japanese manufacturers for a lot less, but any camera this old may probably need a CLA which would run about $200, but probably be good for your life. IMHO the best deal out there right now meeting this criteria is the Canon P, but the viewfinder only goes to 35mm, so if you really need to frame accurately, you would need an accessory finder. Lenses would be the expense, but well worth the prices. Now, if you are looking for a SLR instead of a RF, I can attest to the durability of a Yashica FX-2, cheap as dirt. Leave out the battery if you don't want to use the meter, and you can use Yashica or Zeiss lenses or others like Vivitars in a C/Y mount, even old Pentax lenses, like the early Takumar series, with an inexpensive chinese adapter. . I loved mine for its durability and really good viewfinder. There are so many choices out there, you should really go to a well stocked camera shop which has lots of used bodies and see which one strikes your fancy and ergonomically feels like it is wedded to your hand. I've found really good deals on the big auction site, but you need to do due diligence and waitfor the right one to come along at the right price.

I love rangefinder, they're so much fun to shoot with, plus I don't think I'll ever be truly happy till I have my own Leica. But for the moment it's a bit over my head, plus the need for (constant?) service kinda let me down though.

I've been using a Nikon F3T (fancy version of F3HP). I have no doubt this camera will do what you want. It's small, rugged, has many lens options, and just has a perfect feel to it. There are a couple of outstanding 28mm lens choices, including the 28mm f2, which I have and love. It does take a tiny battery, to run the meter. The battery lasts a long, long time though. I keep two spares in my camera bag (they are tiny) but have never needed them. Even if the battery goes out the camera can still fire at 1/60s mechanically. The Nikon F3T (F3HP) is the perfect camera.

Kent in SD

Got to say, hand down, the champagne silver F3/T gotta be the sexiest camera ever !

Another vote for the Nikon FM2n. Because of the lenses, I usually use a Leica R6 (which is also mechanical), but if cost is a factor it's not the best of choices. And purely as a camera body, I think the FM2 is the better body. I like it has 1/4000th top speed, which most other mechanical bodies can't match.
  • Like 1

The F3 has one major failing in the OPs requirements-that of being fully operable(mechanically) with a dead or missing battery. The F3 only has one shutter speed. At least the Canon New F-1 has all shutter speed 1/90th and over(albeit with the battery removed).

On the long exposure end, the F2 has mechanically timed exposures out to 10 seconds.

I LOVE the Nikon F(I have 6 of them) but it's a bit clunky in operation vs. the F2. Specifically, I find the shutter button placement awkward(although it will feel natural if you're use to Leica IIIs or clones) and you're left with figuring out where to put the film back when you load film :) . Admittedly, it's still easier to load than a screw mount Leica.

Nikon FM2n. It has a battery to power the meter, but that's all, and works perfectly without a battery.

I recently went on a "trip of a lifetime", and took the Nikon FE and the FM2n to hold a second type of film simultaneously, and to act as a backup. Neither camera had any hiccups. I did have to choose carefully between my 3 copies of the FE, because two have shutter timing problems (they close too quickly: 6 seconds on the 8 second setting, and similarly throughout).

Pentaxes are good to great, but they don't inspire the confidence of a Nikon. Leicas are perhaps more perfect machines and glass, but not with the wide selection of lenses you have in mind. The 1/4000th shutter speed of the FM2n comes in handy (see below at 1/2000th.) That's my vote.

upload_2017-8-23_8-36-24.thumb.png.f95a92b5b6f7a232b93076cef3e67401.png

The L-series Prakticas with the metal shutters are indeed one of the best options.

Like any old fllm camera, the built-in meters are more of a crap shoot.

The Nikon F and Nikkormat FTns are also quite fine. ditto on the meters.

What on earth am I to do with all these old cameras????

Always smile when someone asks for "The Best". Whenever my Grandmother went on a Cruise or visited relatives in Europe, she would bring back gifts for the family, having asked for "The Best" in the shops. Many retailers got rid of expensive items they otherwise couldn't have sold. She actually succeeded once when she listened to the cruise ship Captain, and bought me an Eternamatic KonTiki watch, it still works and is worn on occasion 50 odd years later. There are great older Leicas, Canons, Nikons, etc. etc. The Nikon F I traded for in the late"60's still works perfectly, and has never been serviced, as does the M 3 I got from my Dad, though that was CLA'd in the mid "60's in Germany. Budget, personal preference, the feel and features of the particular camera to the user. Condition of the particular camera. The excellent mechanical cameras go well beyond the brands mentioned. User's choice. Good Luck with it!
  • Like 3

Keeping with that "bargain" theme:

1. The Canon P <<< click and it's still impressive tiny rangefinder lenses.
  2. For SLR, the Pentax MX <<< click and it's array of bargain compact lenses.
  3. For a little fixed lens gem, the Olympus 35RC <<< click - What more can you ask for in a quality Manual OR Auto compact RF...

All extremely solid recommendations; they're in my cabinet! :-)

I think the F2 with the plain prism is the best but it's also the most expensive version of the F2 to buy now.

It's sort of funny that you say that. I agree on the prices from my recent observations.

With that said, I was in the local shop today and was talking F2s. I ended up walking out with a near mint F2A, but the shop owner said that he considers the PP the "least valuable" of them. I promptly asked him if he had any, which he didn't but would set any aside for me if they came in. I have no idea what his definition of "least valuable" is, but I paid him $50 for my F2/DP1 in chrome, $75 for my black one, and $200 for this beautiful chrome F2A.

I got my black F2AS new back in 1977. It got stolen in 1984. I never replaced it. I also had the DE-1 plain prism I bought as a clearance because back then nobody wanted a plain prism. So I had the 2 most valuable prisms for the F2. After my F2AS was stolen I gave away the DE-1. I've been looking for a replacement of my F2 but they are more like $500 plus for a nice one which about the same price I paid for new ($550).

• 2 weeks later...

Pentax LX loses some shutter speeds without battery, where the Pentax MX keeps all speeds. The MX is a tank, yet small, with a very fine viewfinder. The LX is definitely the nicer camera to use (incredible finder, large and bright), but needs more maintenance.

Pentax-M lenses remain quite affordable used, as they are more awkward to use on Pentax DSLR's than the later Pentax-A lenses. The Pentax-M 28 f/2.8 is common as dirt and cheap. Several good options for Pentax-M zooms as well.

IMHO, the best mechanical film camera is (1)one that you are comfortable with (easy to handle and set), (2)reliable, (3)plenty of lenses and other accessories available, and (4)portable enough that you will take it with you most of the time.

Fortunately, there are few "dogs" out there in the used market. And some that are capable picture takers might not be easy to repair (like leaf shutter SLR's).