Recommendations for lightweight computer for travel

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by tcyin, Jul 6, 2022.

1. Yin, you should have mentioned you are a tight wad. It would’ve saved a lot of time

2. The touch pad on a MacBook Air or Pro is large, haptic, and has all the precision and features (through gestures) I need for photo editing. Haven't used an Apple mouse in over 4 years.

Had a Dell once (rhymes with ????).

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  3. david_henderson

david_henderson www.photography001.com

Nearly all my photography is carried out on trips 1-4 weeks away from home. I don't want to edit photographs whilst away for lots of reasons, apart from getting rid of obvious rubbish or some of the duplication to free up space on cards. My cameras have two card slots so I make two copies of every photograph and delete nothing until I get home & load onto my computer. I have two stores for used cards- one in my camera bag & one elsewhere so I can afford one piece of carelessness or bad luck while still having my pictures. If I want to look at pictures I've taken I'll put that card in the camera. So- a low cost, low weight solution. I've been through the netbook thing and got no benefit other than something else to carry & I have quite enough anyway. If I didn't do what I do, I'd buy an external HDD with a screen. I do carry an older low capacity iPad too for all the usual reasons, but with a decent trip producing c 80GB of images my photos won't fit on there and buying a current high capacity iPad seems to be close to the most expensive way to buy storage capacity known to man.

4. If you don’t plan to edit on the road, a portable storage drive as mentioned above, with a screen will allow you to do some mild sorting on the fly and free up card space too.

don’t forget that portable solar charging systems are also available if you’re going to super remote (Nepal?) places with no or little power

5. A few years ago on a trip to northern India, I took along a MacBook Air, a couple of external terabyte drives, and mostly kept the camera memory cards without formatting until the end. No problems. I did bring a mouse along for the occasional edit.

Although I feel that India could use a revolution, I had to recognize that their phone and internet were generally more advanced than what I have at home in Southern Illinois. My iPhone worked flawlessly and my calls back to my daughter in Washington state were clear as a bell. I didn't bring home any internet infections either.
    Mousey_20130421_04.jpg
    a mouse (few sharp edges, but it does have tiny teeth)​

ericphelps and Ricochetrider like this.
  6. It may depend on your camera's screen, but for my Canon and Olympus 10X magnification will tell you whether something is essentially a hit or a miss. It may not be completely sufficient, but it is quite enough to get rid of the time wasters. Batteries are indeed a curse though. My Olympus charges from a USB cable or direct from the AC which helps.

7. david_henderson

david_henderson www.photography001.com

I agree with Robin. I think the finder will enable you to dump obvious errors and some not so obvious, against a background that any doubt can be resolved better at home. Batteries? Well I get about a day on average which includes quite a bit of time assessing whether I need another go, or a slightly different treatment. I travel with at least 6 batteries and two chargers so I can afford a failure- not all of this stuff in the camera bag bag but always accessible once I'm at my room or car.

8. If you actually look at the Apple site you will see that the iPod Pro has a USB-C port that supports USB-4 and Thunderbolt and the iPod air has a USB connector. the regular ole iPad has a "lightning" connector so I'm not sure what that is. All the computers type Devices people have been throwing out here should have available specs, including connectors on their website.

9. I have an 11 inch MacBook Air, dated 2012, that I got from Goodwill, replaced the battery and SSD, and have had lots of fun with it, including writing this.

I presume that newer ones are better, but this one works find for me.

As for iPad, newer ones use USB-C, and older ones the "lightning" connector.
    For both, there are adapters to USB-A, the connector most of us think of as USB.

10. Since the untimely demise of my iMac, I've been using a MacBook Pro for daily tasks. Besides the universal compatibility between Apple products, the MBP has a feature I especially appreciate. The screen has uniform brightness and color, corner to corner, from the user's point of view. I have several, retired IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad laptops, which have screens resembling tunnel vision. It's actually a feature designed to discourage onlookers, but a detriment to photo and video editing. The touch pad on the Lenovo is almost unusable by comparison.

I decided to replace the iMac with a Mac Studio M1 Max, and Studio Display - more power and modular system. After 7 years, it was time to retire the iMac, but better were it on my terms. I'll repair it if possible, and pass it on to my adult son.