Recommendations for Cold Weather Gloves

rayliguori

I always have cold hands (but a warm heart). So, along the line of

the cold weather boots thread (which was very helpful), how do you

all keep your hands warm when you are out shooting. Has anybody

found a really warm glove that is thin enough to shoot with? If not,

do you value easy on/easy off? Layers? Please tell.

Wear polopro liners inside insulated mittens. Buy mittens at least one size large to facilitate easy hand removal. You may also put inside the mitten a disposable handwarmer. Any glove thin enough to allow easy use of camera controls will not keep your digits warm at 20 or lower. You may also pass a nylon cord around the back of the neck & attach your mittens when using the camera.

Hoarfrost along open water is especially nice near 0 degrees.

Hi

I've wrestled with this for years and there is no optimal answer.

However, Curt's suggestion of mittens and a glove liner is about the best you can do. The trade off is having warm fingers or being able to manipulate one's camera. Adding disposable hand warmers helps a little. I usually have an assortment of gloves/mittens and adjust depending on the weather.

Years ago in another life I did a lot of winter ice climbing. I had

heavy wool mittens (Dachstein ? mitts) and under these I wore heavy duty fingerless gloves called "milarmitts" or some such. These were heavy duty knitted but made of a man made fabric. The palms were not at all slippery and would allow one to hold a camera or other tool without fear of it slipping on the material. The combination mitten/fingerless glove of today are a nice idea but I can't find any with palms and fingers that allow gripping a camera. My last pair of millarmmitts bit the dust about 10 years ago and I haven't been able to find any even at stores such as EMS or REI. Even at the time I don't think they were inexpensive.

Mittens, glove liners and handwarmis is as good as any option.

Bob

I was out for a few hours in -10F in a stiff wind wednesday and managed to

keep my hands reasonably comfortable - my main problems were the frost

which formed on my glasses since I forgot the antifog treatment and

repeatedly "burning" my nose on my metal camera back.

I used 2 layers - inner layer outdoor research windblock mittens with finger

and thimb flaps so that one does not need to remove the entire mitten to

perform some tasks, outer layer, also OR, a heavy windproof/waterproof nylon

shell (for snowboarding?).

The heavy outer shell allows only minimal manipulation of things - no camera

controls to speak of - so I pretty much kept my left hand double layered all the

time and the right hand single layered.

There were definitely times when I had to stop what I was doing to jump

around vigorously to keep cirulation in my extremities since I was mostly

stationary in nasty wind, but I was surprised how well things workd out

weathwerwise.

Test

Ever thought of trying neoprene gloves?

<br><br>

Neoprene is flexible and foamy substance used to make suits for scuba divers and surfers. There are also neoprene gloves for fishers and paddlers. You can imagine fishing and paddling quite similar to photography by requirements. Need for dry and warm hands without loosing dexterity on fingers.

<br><br>

I did a fast search on internet and the thinnest gloves I could find right now were 1.5mm thick neoprene. Because it's foamy and flexible structure, it's like a second skin which keeps the warmth in and the cold outside.

<br><br>

I would think you could try them. Just don't take gloves too big.

<br><br>

<a href="http://www.bluequillangler.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page205.html" target="_blank">http://www.bluequillangler.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page205.html</a>

I suffer from very cold hands when I shoot. What I have found that works the best for me is to wear a thin pair of light weight knit cotton golves, which I never take off, on top of those I wear neoprene kayaking gloves. The neoprene gloves make my hands sweat, which is why I wear the cotton gloves underneath. If I will be outside for anything more than 90 minutes, I will put two chemical hand warmers inside of a very large pair of down stuffed leather mittens to put my hands into when the neoprene gloves can't keep them warm any longer.

With the thin cotton gloves and the neoprene gloves, I am able to operate an N90 and RB67 Pro-S without a problem. I do keep the strap around my neck or over my shoulder, because it is difficult to feel the camera unless I am grabbing it firmly.

I wear the polypro liners under a pair of polarguard mittens that have the flap that unfolds over the half finger glove. It is a combination mitten/glove available from REI and several other outlets. There are these types of mittens that will allow the thumb flap to be folded back too. One thing that I discovered is that you do not need to unfold the entire flap over the fingers. You can "sneak" your trigger finger out between the gap in the mitten only exposing the one finger.

I always wears 2 layers of gloves. The inner layer is my racquetball glove, which provides enough protection for the time needed to change film or to access certain functions in the camera.<p> The outer layer is a "proper" glove thick enough to withstand clod reasonably, but also just capable of firing the trigger.<p> For any camera adjustments, I find myself removing the outer layer and working with my racquetball gloves. I also have a chemical pack between the layers, when it gets really cold.<p>

Balaji

A thin glove made of Gore's Windstopper material is ideal. Very warm, but good dexterity. I've used these in very adverse situations (mountains etc) as liners for down mitts/xcr overmitts, which then are kept on for photography, and in better weather on their own. Here's an example:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=675235&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=515239&bmUID=1074226103513

BTW - windstopper is a fantastic material for toques as well.

What works for me in weather down into the teens and high single numbers is a pair of hunting gloves which I've had for a few years. It's a glove with half fingers, and mitten the folds over the fingers. I need to take them off to do things I need dextarity with my thumbs for (like screwing in a cable release to a 4x5 shutter), but most camera functions I can do just fine with the glove on and the mitten up. I got mine from L.L. Bean a few years ago, but I don't see them listed on their web site anymore. This is the same thing from cabelas <a href="http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/horizontal-item.jhtml?id=0005308921323a&navAction=jump&navCount=1&indexId=&podId=0005308&catalogCode=XD&parentId=&parentType=&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml.1_A&_DAV=search">click here</a>

I got the perfect thing for you to try they cost about 20-25.00 at a good Auto parts store like NAPA they are mechanics gloves

http://tinyurl.com/2xh8d

just like you see the guys in the pits during a NASCAR race wearing they are tough highly flexable and fit your hands so well you can pick up a dime while wearing them. They have a velcro closuer back and come in different colors Summit Racing on line would be a great mail order source. I have used these gloves for all kinds of things. If really cold weather is to be braved I suggest these gloves with a warmer glove over top like a shooters glove that allows an open trigger/shutter finger Cabelas would carry them. This double layer would allow warmth and when needed a fine touch for the camera. Without risking flesh.

The cotton inner gloves mentioned by someone above are scary, as they provide almost no insulation when wet. Polypropylene, or even silk, are far better.

BTW, I was very grateful to a photo.net member for a suggestion I'll repeat here, to tape over any metal parts that hands or face might be touching. If I hadn't done that a couple of years ago, I might still have my chin stuck to an ironically named quick release clamp.

And finally, if your hands swell when they get cold, talk to a doctor about it.

If you're dealing with cold, wet conditions, neoprene gloves are a good idea. I've got a pair of Kenai neoprene gloves that are recommended for cold-weather fishing, hunting, etc. They probably have the best compromise of protection from the cold and wet, and dexterity. Like most neoprene, they aren't what I'd call easy on/off. Newer versions have fleece lining for easier on/off, and finger slits on the thumb and forefinger increased dexterity. They'll keep your hands warm and dry, and they're reasonably priced (about $20).

Well, everyone seems to be talking about the gloves and mittens that work for them. I'll guess I'll have to be the mother in the group and say that if you want to keep your hands warm, make sure that your torso and head are very well insulated. Your hands can operate in surprisingly cold temps if your torso is not fighting to stay warm. Have something that does not allow the wind to penetrate and a well insulated hat to retain the heat and that covers the back of the neck. If you're losing heat through your head, there's no glove combination that's going to keep your hands warm.

As for gloves, I use a combination of what others mention: Light polypro gloves with Windstopper underneath a heavier windstopper glove or mitten. The trick is that both sets fit comfortably and they don't fit tightly. If they're tight, it doesn't matter what you're wearing, your blood flow will be constricted and your hands will be cold.

This worked in my years working atop Mt. Washington (in New Hampshire) and in the Antarctic.

Bob, Hey, we must be the same vintage! I used to use millarmitts and dachsteins too, when ice climbing. I still have them both!

Cheers,

Most of my thoughts are repeats (liner, mitts), though sometimes I wear liners under gloves that are half-fingered with mitts that pull over the ends, which helps a little because you're not exposing the whole hand, though they do make it tighter. Also, if it's really windy, the windstopper stuff can only go so far, so sometimes I put on a gore-tex overmitt to keep the wind/snow from making the gloves wet while I go from location to location.

I bought some Gore Windstopper gloves made by Manzella. They have fingerless tips

but also have a convertible mitten top that pulls over your fingers when you're done

with your fine adjustments. They are Polartec and fairly warm but not for extreme

temperatues IMHO. They are fairly reasonably priced at around $25. and have been

great to use for photography.

Thanks to all for the helpful advice. I went went with the double layer approach. The inside layer is a thin "Wind Pro Power Stretch Glove" with a studded palm and fingers for gripping. For the outer layer, I bought "Expedition Trigger Mitts." This is a combination glove and mitten. It has 3 finger slots: one for the thumb, one for the index finger and one for the remaining three fingers. Having the index finger free should, at the very least, allow me to operate the shutter release. The thumb has an insert specially desinged for wiping fog off your goggles/glasses. Finally, it has a long detachable strap that you can attach to your coat so that you don't have to put the mitts on the ground when you take them off. Lots of different fabrics involved in the two gloves: polartec, gore-tex, polyurethane, synthetic leather. I purchased these at EMS and the prices were reasonable: $20 for the inner layer and $30 for the outer layer. Hopefully, this will do the trick. Thanks again for all of the great advice.

I've got some thin neoprene paddling gloves that I picked up at REI that work great- I

can do most things with them on, and I carry a pair of overmittens for really cold

days. They're tight, with pre-bent fingers, but that way you can do all sorts of things

without removing them, which makes them invaluable to me.

Here's the link to the ones I have:

<A HREF=http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?

productId=12229058&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1>http://

www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?

productId=12229058&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1</a>

Paul

I use a pair of Gore Windstopper gloves made by North Face. I'm able to operate most of my camera's controls but do have to take them off for things like changing filters, batteries and film. Below about -15C I use a Gore Tex over-mitt (mitts are much warmer than gloves, and dexterity isn't as important with the over-mitt) when standing around waiting or walking from site to site. Keep the rest of you warm, and this set-up should work fine to temperatures where you shouldn't be standing around outside anyways!

You might talk with a physician about the hands. You may have Raynaud's syndrome, which is the body reducing blood flow to the extremities, usually the hands, in cold weather (among other sources). Gloves may only help a little, and the condition can get worse with repeated exposure or age. The result is the hands, and especially the fingers, won't move, or worse lose heat to the point of damage.

[Note.--This is the body's reaction to cold, and not just the hands. You can keep the body warm but it senses the outside (cold) air and this triggers the response of blood flow. There isn't a cure, but there are some therapies that work for some.]

I suggest that because I have it and can't keep my hands warm in cold weather, even while moving. I use two pair of gloves, a pair of Marmot Outlast gloves which is the best I've found for me to keep the hands warm while hiking to photo spots. Then I use a pair of fingerless windstop gloves for shooting, and quickly put the other gloves back on, sometimes while just looking or other stuff when not holding a camera.

Just a suggestion, and good luck.