Recommendations for a second body

james_glucksman1

<p>I shoot with a 5DMkII, and am about to travel to Africa, where I would like to have a second body along so that I can minimize lens changing in a dusty environment and also maximize the reach of my lenses (100-400 and 70-200 f/2.8L). I was debating one of the smaller bodies (that is, not the XXD series) primarily out of concerns about weight and since my partner already has a 50D that he'll be taking along. Any recommendations?</p>

<p>I would say go with a Rebel. I shoot with a 5D for my main camera and I find that my XTi makes a great backup. Its image quality is great and I benefit from the crop sensor because I like to use it for stitching. Since it has a crop sensor, I get the sharpest part of the lens with less vignetting. Its light, reliable, gives me excellent image quality, and its a cheap alternative to something like a 40D.</p>

<p>Extend the "range" all you want. The secret is in the quality of the sensor. A FF sensor will beat a crop sensor every time for low noise and low light sensitivity. You will be disappointed if you decide to step back to a XX camera. I shoot a 1DMIII - my 30D gathers dust waiting as a backup. And, yes, I know that a 1DMIII is not a full frame, but the sensor is still larger than a 1.6 crop camera and I can see the difference. I would shot a FF body, but I just love the speed of the 1D.<br>

Crop cameras don't "extend the range," rather, they "crop" the image. Get the FF sensor my friend.</p>

<p>It's interesting, since I had the same impression as you, Mark, about just cropping the image to get the portion I want if the "reach" of the FF sensor was not enough, but I was roundly mocked for thinking this way! I think that is the way to go--rather have my 5DMkII with the 100-400 ready to go for tele shots, and perhaps another FF with my 70-200 or even 24-70 for the wider shots.</p>

<p>James,</p>

<p>Consider that the viewfinder on a xx body is like looking through a barrel after you have handled a fine camera like the 5D. A 40D or 50D is a big step back and you won't like it. The viewfinder alone should convince you of that.<br>

I go way back to film days when a 200mm f/2.8 lens was the bees knees. I have a crop camera as it was the best that I could afford at the time. After using a 1D and seeing the quality of the images, the crop factor nonsense is just that - get the largest Canon sensor that you can afford and don't worry about the conversion factor. My 30D is for emergencies only!</p>

<p>mark</p>

<p> </p>

<p>James,</p>

<p>Consider that the viewfinder on a xx body is like looking through a barrel after you have handled a fine camera like the 5D. A 40D or 50D is a big step back and you won't like it. The viewfinder alone should convince you of that.<br>

I go way back to film days when a 200mm f/2.8 lens was the bees knees. I have a crop camera as it was the best that I could afford at the time. After using a 1D and seeing the quality of the images, the crop factor nonsense is just that - get the largest Canon sensor that you can afford and don't worry about the conversion factor. My 30D is for emergencies only!</p>

<p>mark</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I guess it depends on what you would want to spend and how serious you are. I went from a 40D to a 5D2 and I must say the 5D2 is a huge step forward but the 40D is not bad at all and would make a nice, affordable second body. The viewfinder looking so small is probably the only thing that bothers me now that I have used full frame. I never realized how small it looked until now. </p>

<p>If weight is the issue than a 400D/450D/500D is just dandy.</p>

<p>(Throw a small prime like a 28/2.8, a 35/2 or a 50/1.8 on it and you have a small, light, high IQ combo.)</p>

<p>If you "need" the tiny pixels for extra tele-range I'd say the 500D.</p>

<p>based SOLEY on your desire to extend the apparent focal length of your lenses, i'd go with the latest offering from Canon in crop cameras, the 500D. It seems to have everything that is actually needed from the 50D put into a 450D body. And, it has HD video to boot.</p>

<p>If the crop factor is not as important as you seem to indicate, then another full frame body is definitely the way to go. I personally own a 5D and a 20D, and like the combo....but then I bought each new, with the 5D being my "upgrade" from the 20D. and i too like the focal length increase with the 20D. Although, if i was starting totally from scratch today, I think two full frame bodies would be my actual choice.</p>

<p>Wow, I went to the store today and looked at the 500D and 1000D (the 500D was wrapped up in plastic so I could literally just "see" it, without actually looking through the viewfinder or anything) and boy was I disappointed! After the enormous screen size of the 5DMk2 this was just too difficult to go back to. I will definitely have to rethink this whole approach of mine. Thanks for the tips!</p>