Recommendations for a new ball head for a Slik Snapman Deluxe

goldoftime

I just got a Canon 30D, and will be adding some lenses down the road. I have a

Slik Snapman deluxe tripod which I like, and thought I might just get a new head

with a quick release to replace the existing head of instead of getting a

completely new tripod (I don't really care for the current ball head, but I like

the tripod). Any recommendations, and are there certain heads that will fit this

tripod better than others? And I imagine that adding a heavy head might defeat

the purpose of having a light tripod to begin with.

I have done some research and have seen one post where someone is using the

Giottos MH-1002, but that doesn't have quick release.

Price is not the primary factor, ease of use and how well it will work with the

Slik would be my primary concerns. I am also open to other recommendations if

there are individuals that think I am following the wrong path and I should

invest in a completely new tripod. Thanks!

It's 1/4x20 threaded stud will allow you to add pretty much any head, you would need a bushing for the 3/8x16 threaded heads.

This is a smallish, "travel" sized consumer grade tripod with a fairly low weight capacity rating. So while you could replace the head with a similarly sized head with a quick release, I think you may find that the legset won't be up to more than casual uses. The pod seems to run about $80-$100 on search but I don't know how current it is. There are Slik and Bogen ballheads which come with quick releases that would be under $100 (the further under $100 you settle for, the less likely I'd think you will be happy to have this as a primary tripod in the long run).

The question then bcomes one of your true budget, and that tempered by your gear choices and photo interests. After that, there is about a $200 jump to go from a non-Arca Swiss type qr system to Arca Swiss "compatible" qr systems. Meaning that there are some pretty good tripod choices from about $100- $125 to $200 (and up) if you don't go AS. Depending on the head chosen you may be able to retrofit an AS base and add a plate for about $100-$125 to some of the Bogen and similar ballheads.. Heads alone that are AS compatible start about $250. (Giottos may have just hit the $150 mark but it's tonew to say much about yet.)

If you want something sturdy and economical, Bogen-Manfrotto 488 midi series ball head with rapid connect system should fit the bill. I have 488RC0 with hexagon shape quick release and it worked for me well (weigh around 1.8lb and costs $105). If the weight & cost is the concern, perhaps you should consider Bogen486RC2 Compact Ball Head with Rapid Connect System 2 (weighs 1.0 lb and cost around $69 with the plate).

If you were series about the price is not the primary factor, I would say go with the whole package. Get a Gitzo GT1540 (weights mere 2.5 lb same as your Silk) and it is must sturdier. For the head, go for the new Arca-Swiss Z1 ball head with a quick-release and get a really right stuff plate to go with your 30D. Only problem is that this set up will set you back just under $1K.