Recommendation

Jeffrey L.T. von Glück

<p>I know this will shock people on this forum, but I am still shooting 8-mm digital video with a Sony DCR TRV-840 Digital Handycam. Admittedly, I don't shoot much video. My wife uses a Canon DC-210 mini-DVD camcorder. (In fact, we use the Canon for most video as we can easily burn full-size DVDs on our PCs.)</p>

<p>Unfortunately, I dropped the Canon onto a concrete surface a few weeks ago and it is pretty much kaput. I don't think it makes any sense to have it repaired as the cost will exceed that of a new camcorder. We are now "stuck" with just the Sony 8-mm Handycam until we buy a replacement, which is fine for me -- I still shoot film for stills! -- but will not suffice for my better half. (My old Bolex H-16 reflex was just fine, thank you.)</p>

<p>Does anyone have any recommendations on a replacement? I assume we are limited to a camcorder that uses memory cards as mini-DVDs are obsolete and my "ancient" 8-mm Handycam is positively luddite -- what does that make my Bolex? Thanks for your help.</p>

Jeffrey L. T. von Gluck

<p>At least advance to Hi-8! Actually, I'm kidding. With 4K around the corner, you might want to rethink your future plans...I mean being stuck in the 60's and all. Your Bolex was fine before the turn of the century, but where the heck will you get maintenance done on EBM or SBM motors....and to add to that conundrum, even if you just spring-wound this thing, where will you get the 16mm film or have it processed or printed ? Did I mentioned prohibitive costs ?</p>

<p>Not sure what you are doing with the equipment, but I'd advance it to a solid Canon or Panasonic 1080P (dedicated video) camera or cameras. Another way is by getting a still camera that can also pull the 1080P video quality. Also, I did see a Sony video rig ($1600 +/-) and with an adapter it would take primes like Nikon and possibly Canon. </p>

<p>The better rigs will allow you to hook up radio mics....= life savers in tight quarters and in an interview.</p>

<p>While at it, you may need to update your computer to deal with all of this. But, once you're set, you can crank out as many copies as you wish....without A & B rolls...and having migraines of having the footage printed (heavy on expense).</p>

<p>It's up to you to make your life bit easier. As to 4K...that will still take a while....</p>

<p>Just some of my thoughts.</p>

<p>Les</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Take a look at the video section at <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com">www.bhphotovideo.com</a> Depending on how much you want to spend, Canon has some nice handycam stile camcorders that record to memory cards for around $300-$400. Make sure to find a model that lets you plug in an external microphone. Whether you go wired or wireless, a separate mike is essential to anything beyond pure home movies. Also take a look at the "prosumer" cameras. For about $1200 or $1500 and up, Panasonic and maybe JVC have over-the-shoulder cameras that are much easier to handhold if you don't mind the extra size and weight. <br /><br />I've a Bolex fan from way back. My fantasy is an SBM with the autoexposure zoom, 400-foot mag, sync motor, etc. But even if somebody gave me one, the expense of 16mm film is so high now I'm not sure what I'd do with it. What scares me is that with Fuji dropping out of the movie film market last year and Kodak now only selling the Vision negative stock (plus Tri-X reversal) there aren't many film options left. Not that Vision isn't good film, but it has to be printed or transferred to video to have anything watchable. The days of loading a roll of 7242 and being able to project the same roll are gone.</p>

<p>Some of what I posted was tongue in cheek. The venerable Bolex, which I inherited from my grandfather in the 70s, was put out to pasture a long time ago. But I still shoot quite a bit of film with my Leicas, though not nearly as much as I used to. And even then, I get the negatives scanned to CDs at time of processing. All our digital still gear is Canon, so I might as well stick with that brand. We do want something compact, which is why the old Sony Handycam will be joining the Bolex none too soon.</p>
Jeffrey L. T. von Gluck

• 2 weeks later...