Recomendation for tele zoom for portraiture?

steve_vancosin

Well, this is a "join the club" sort of post, isn't it?

Let's see. It has to be a zoom, and it has to be 70ish-to-telephoto, and it needs a fairly large maximum aperture because you want it for portraits so the option of narrow depth of field is key. Plus you want high quality, the best in that range.

Okay, that's one of the many versions of the 80-200 f/2.8 Nikkor, or perhaps the new 70-200 AF-S G VR critter.

You know that, right?

Anybody's 70-200 f/2.8 is going to be heavy. If you switch to Canon you can have an f/4 "little brother" of the f/2.8 zoom.

Nikkor doesn't offer an equivalent, sadly. The Nikkor 70-300 AF-D is a lot lighter (cheaper too!) and its performance up to 200mm is quite nice but you cannot get that thin-sliced depth of field with it because its max aperture is only so-so.

Here's my best solution for you: Get the AF-D 80-200 f/2.8 Nikkor (because that's the lens you really want) and tie about 50 helium-filled mylar balloons to it.

Have fun,

I have the 70-210/f4-5.6D Nikkor that performs admirably and

can be had in E+ condition for under $200 (see keh.com). Of

course, your maximum aperture is reduced, but background blur

can be achieved at the long end with the subject fairly close to

the camera. I would recommend it. If wider aperture is needed,

you might look at the 85/f1.8D Nikkor as a fixed-focal alternative.

Perhaps the 105 or 135 f2/0D Nikkors as well.

This is the best advice I've ever read in another thread for dealing with heavy equipment:<br><br><i>

"Get married, have a child, raise the child, and then convince him or her to carry it around! "</i><br><br>

In the meantime, if you want a fast and good zoom lens you'll have to deal with aprox. 1.4 kg or switch to primes - unfortunately, fast glass and low weight is a contradiction.

I'll second Larry's suggestion for the 75-150 E lens. Depending on your body though, this may or may not be an easy solution. Seems that many of the new bodies are unable to meter with any of the older MF lenses.

I use mine as a lightweight backpacking tele, and something that I take when I want to be a little stealthier than using a larger heavier zoom (intimidates people)...

Steve - since you are looking for a zoom, I would assume that you'd only use it for portraiture part of the time, and NOT 100% of the time. Your options:

<ul>

<li>70-200mm VR - new & unproven, but at nearly $1900, 8.5" in length and 3.2 lbs (+ assumes you have a Nikon body on which VR would work), it's one expensive monster (and likely hard to find these days -- B&H is already out of stock).

<li>80-200mm AF f2.8 - fast, versatile lens

<li>Other similar zoom range - 70-210mm, etc...

<li>wider angle zoom - 35mm-135mm, 24mm-120mm, etc...

<li>Prime lens - 85mm, 105mm, 135mm, etc...

</ul>

For my money, it would depend on how much portrature I shoot... if it's less than 50% (or whatever % seems appropriate), I'd get the fast, proven & versatile 80-200mm AF; if greater than that %, I'd get a prime lens.

From the reviews, the new AFS VR 70-200/2.8 is sharp with very smooth rendering of backgrounds. VR will allow you to handhold the camera at very low shutter speeds. All these would make the lens ideal for portraits.

But you want a lighter alternative. If your camera will work with manual lenses, get the series-E 75-150/3.5. It's relatively compact, fast, covers the classic portrait focal lengths, it's sharp, focuses reasonably close and has pleasing rendering of backgrounds.

If you need AF, Nikon are really lacking in a good compact portait zoom. The old AF 70-210/4 is probably the best option. The current AF 70-300/4-5.6 might be acceptable but may be too slow.

Or maybe you should just go for a prime lens and "foot zoom" instead. The AF 105/2 DCs one of the best portrait lenses around, once you figure out how the DC feature works. If you decide to go for a prime, and manual focus is ok, the 105/2.5 is a classic portrait lens.

Hi Steve,

I second Jemini answer. I have the Nikkor AF 70-210F4. I really like it. It's lite (compared to the 80-200)and very sharp. The AF won't blind you with speed but than again for portraiture, its perfect.

Try KEH or Charlotte Camera ( where I got mine). Expect to pay around $225-$250 in mint condition. If you can find one, you won't be disappointed. Good luck.

"70-200mm VR - new & unproven, but at nearly $1900, 8.5" in length and 3.2 lbs (+ assumes you have a Nikon body on which VR would work), it's one expensive monster (and likely hard to find these days -- B&H is already out of stock)."<p>

Hmmm, the 70-200mm VR seems to be a notably slow seller here in Sacramento. My 2 favorite camera store got 8 of those between them with the first shipment but managed to sell only 3 in the last 3 weeks. Apparently many more 80-200 were sold. I think G feature is not helping.

I would recommend the nikon 70-300mm ED AF-D f4-f5.6 lens. It is around $300 new and takes incredible photos for its size and price. I own a: 180 AF-D f2.8, 105mm f1.8 AI-'P', 200mm AI-'P' f2, 85mm AI-S f1.4, 300 AF-D f4, 70-210 AF f4-5.6, etc. I end up borrowing my girlfriends 70-300mm frequently because it is so convienent. I like owning the best nikon lenses out there but regardless of how much money I spend they still won't take amazing photos if they are to big and bulky for me to bring them along.

If you decide to go with the 75-150 E lens check out the following thread.

<P>

<A HREF="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=004n5E">http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=004n5E</A><P>

This lens can be modified so it can be used on newer bodies such as the N80 or D100 as well as enabling matrix modes on most other matrix capable cameras. Rolland Elliot can perform this modification for you.

<P>

Good Luck,<BR>

Carl