recognizing film type based on the negatives

Discussion in 'Film and Processing' started by luke_lukas, May 3, 2014.

1. hey, I recently went on a trip with my nikon fe2 and brought with myself quite a big variety of films because I wanted to experience a bit,
    now I have all the films processed and stored but I'm wondering if I will be able to recognize the film used when only looking at the
    negatives. I know there is usually a brand name and a film speed indication but I don't think that's sufficient, because I used for instance 3
    different types of Fuji 400 films. I'm wondering if anybody ever experienced the same? are there not any hidden references or codes
    which could imply the exact type of film? many thanks for your replies.
    Lukas

2. There are generally markings/codes on the film for identification. For Fujifilm, see the Fujifilm Professional Data Guide.

3. For historical films, not the current stuff, there is a National Park Service Conserve O Gram newsletter that discusses ID of historical films (1999):
    http://www.cr.nps.gov/museum/publications/conserveogram/14-09.pdf

4. Edge codes are unique to specific film types. No mystery or surprises.

5. William Michael

William Michael Moderator Staff Member

I use Fuji colour negative film:
    Fuji Superia X-TRA 400/135: has a RED edge stripe and a broken GREEN edge strip along the bottom edge.
    Fuji PRO 400H/135: has an identifier “PRO400H” along the top edge.

What’s the third 400 ISO Fuji negative film that you bought, I suspect that it is not in production now?

WW

6. James G. Dainis

James G. Dainis Moderator

Take some photos of some of the negative strips with the edge codes, post them here and we will tell you what they are.

7. Its normally on the edges of the negatives, film make, type and ISO, i.e. Kodak Portra 160 etc. Just look at your processed negatives. (don't look before they are processed:)

8. ok, here are some pictures of the negatives,
    type 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    type 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. I think Fuji S-400 might be fuji superia 400. Please correct me if this is wrong. Thanks Colin for that link. I have been looking for this information for a while.

Thanks JDM . I can check my old family negatives.