Reciprocity failure or a shutter box that needs servicing?

belal_chami

<p>Please see my original post:<br /> http://www.photo.net/photography-lighting-equipment-techniques-forum/00eG3k<br /> Following suggestions, I experimented on a recent flight using my Nikon Fe2 with 55mm nikkor lens at various shutter speeds.<br /> 1/1000<br />1/2000<br />1/4000<br /><br /><br /> I quickly scanned the negatives which showed that at 1/1000 my exposure was good, however the image became increasingly darker even though I adjusted my aperature by a full stop for each step up in shutter (i.e: 1/1000 f/5.6; 1/2000 f/4 & 1/4000 f2.8). My light meter also indicated that I was at the correct exposure for each shutter speed that I used (adjusting for aperture).</p>

<p>So what is going on here? Is this a classic example of reciprocity failure or is my beloved nikon fe2 in need of expensive repairs?<br /> Thank you in advanced</p><div>00eH1o-566854284.jpg.0bfece90c903a9c406cf0d3c59567fcb.jpg</div>

<p>I did a similar exercise to check the settings of a Canon F1 a few months ago, photographing the same scene whilst successively halving the shutter speed up to the fastest available, and increasing the aperture by one stop each time to maintain the same exposure. All the pictures looked pretty much the same (apart from minor variations and different depths of field). So I think your shutter is the problem.</p>

<p>Remember to achieve the highest speeds a focal plane shutter effectively moves a narrow slit across the frame, by triggering the second curtain well before the first one has cleared the opening. So any slight mistiming between the first and second curtains might cause this slit to taper or even disappear, causing the effects which you have noted.</p>

<p>Your FE2 has a vertical travel shutter. The frame taken at 1/2000 is evidence that the shutter is "capping" at higher speeds, i.e., closing prematurely. If you're lucky, it may just require an adjustment; if you're unlucky, it may be irreparable or simply beyond economical repair. If I were you, I wouldn't have it fixed; I'd scout around for a used Nikon N8008, which has all the features of your FE2 plus auto wind, auto rewind, and auto ISO indexing. Only downside is that you have to replace the batteries more often but they are AA.</p>