Recipe for BW with Channel Mixer.

Hi this is not a question! Only infos for people who like working with channel mixer. Your

comment are always a pleasure : ) have fun. Use them with channel mixer red-green-blue. In

monochrome mode._Agfa 200X: 18,41,41 / Agfapan 25: 25,39,36 / Agfapan 100: 21,40,39 /

Agfapan 400: 20,41,39 / Ilford Delta 100: 21,42,37 / Ilford Delta 400: 22,42,36 / Ilford Delta

400 Pro & 3200: 31,36,33 / Ilford FP4: 28,41,31 / Ilford HP5: 23,37,40 / Ilford Pan F:

33,36,31 / Ilford SFX: 36,31,33 / Ilford XP2 Super: 21,42,37 / Kodak Tmax 100: 24,37,39 /

Kodak Tmax 400: 27,36,37 / Kodak Tri-X: 25,35,40 And these basic ones: Normal Contrast:

43,33,30 /High Contrast: 40,34,60 and at last a generic BW: 24,68,8. I like to 50,50,0 or

• 5 weeks later...

Patrick,

Re: The 4-5 step IR method mentioned in your Oct. 14th post.

" HUGH_thanks for the info, i will add it. I did know about it. I do my IR in another way in 4-5 step."

Would you take a moment to describe it?

Thank you.

Roger

SIMPLE BW IR FROM DIGITAL COLOR PICTURE

01_adjustment layer/ hue saturation/ -100 saturation

02_adjustment curve/ OK/ mode change to overlay

03_reselect your background

04_double background/gaussian blur like 15-20/ OK/ mode change to screen

05_reselect the last layer ( should be your adjustment curve )

06_create layer/ fill w 50% gray/ mode softlight/ apply noise monochromatic, gaussian, to

taste....

Voila! a look alike BW IR photo, without the complexity of using filter and gadget.

have fun : )<div>00EE29-26549484.jpg.c2811fdbcf4dacf5260d4a3a4248bb13.jpg</div>

• 2 weeks later...

The original set of numbers must be relative to something. The RBG colors of the original photo are obviously also dependant on the film before scan, the scanner response, or if from a digital camera the response curve of its sensor. Generally these would be adjusted to produce a neutral gray image printed in color of a gray original and also reproduce a standard color chart as accurately as possible.

This would be done by setting the RGB levels and could then be used to make an accurate color rendition.

Then the Channel mixer in Photoshop (or Corel Paint Shop Pro) would be used to make the monochrome image emulating the responce curves of the various B&W films shot without filters.

Do you agree with that statement? Or am I missing something.

-------

Obviously the IR blue channel negative number trick only makes the image similar to the effects seen on IR film without closely studying it. The real rendition of IR is out side the spectra of RGB and so would be somewhat different. That would be perfectly fine for an interesting image, which is what is usually desired when not shooting with an IR filter when using IR film. If the image is for a scientific study then this method is not going to do it as nothing in the final image will show what the scene really looked like in infra-red.